Thursday, December 24, 2020

Wifey -- Our Personal Lord and Savior

 So it's noche buena in Miami, and in year's past we would be invited to some party or another. A favorite is Joel and Courtney -- Joel's Italian, and makes a big tenderloin and great pasta, and we'd drink and eat and laugh. Their parties reminded me of the ones I had on Long Island as an adolescent -- they'd always make room for the stray Jewish kid like me.

This year, with the Plague, no parties. But we're getting ready to celebrate the BIG DAY, December 25 -- Wifey's birthday.

I am forbidden from any longer "for the rest of your life," mentioning her age. I tried to get her to change her view on that. The way I see it, the Big Man gives us each year, and by being ashamed of the number, it's a form of ingratitude. My Dad got few years than Wifey has. But no dice -- she doesn't like the increasing numbers, so it's just "Happy Birthday."

Alas -- no D2 and Jonathan. They're awaiting COVID results, but even if negative, I think will want to sit on this Wifey-mas. But D1 and Joey and the beautiful grandson are coming, along with the Spoiled Spaniel. We'll bring in lunch, and hopefully get to take a long stroller walk with the baby in cool temperatures -- predicted for tomorrow.

I'm proud of a small tech triumph. When I tried to use my library computer, a Lenovo "ThinkCentre," it wouldn't boot up. I texted Carlos, my computer guy, hoping to get him early, but he was already on his way to Mass. I quickly told him to wait until after Christmas -- I have a working desk top in the den.

But then I thought -- hey -- maybe I can fix this. Somehow I uninstalled Windows, reinstalled it, and here I am -- I already tested the printer.

I realize these machines have just gotten easier and easier to operate -- but still -- this is a first for me. Maybe you CAN teach a 59.5 year old new tricks. Wait -- am I not allowed to mention MY age? Nah -- I tell everyone...

So 2020 slouches towards its completion. Last year at this time, I was full of hope for the best year ever. Then there was Trump and Covid. But, there was also our grandson growing, and D2 and Jonathan marrying, and, all in all, a pretty nice ride around the sun.

Big Man willing, 2021 will be more peaceful, and more healing instead of infectious, in many ways.

Our family's holiday season always runs from around T Day though early February. D1's birthday is near T Day, then Wifey's is on Xmas, our wedding anniversary is January 3, and now, of course, the little man's birthday is the week before Xmas. To me, the season ends with D2's birthday on the Day the Music Died. My birthday is July -- I'm an outlier.

So we're right in the midst of things. Wifey's birthday, our anniversary, and then D2's birthday, to end/start the year.

And tomorrow, it's happy (            ) birthday, Wifey!

No comments: