Thursday, December 31, 2020

Dog Sitting on NYE

 So D2 and Jonathan are thankfully, both now COVID negative, and therefore can socially distance with their friends. Today, D2 asked whether we would dog sit for a few hours, while they met for a birthday get together in our 'hood. Of course, I said, as my NYE plans during the day consist of taking a nap.

So Wifey just left to fetch her prescriptions at the Walgreens Drive Through, and I'm here with the Sonor playing Reggae. I've always loved Reggae on NYE -- I guess living in the Tropics, it seems an appropriate music to end the year.

I heard a Toots and the Maytals song for the first time: their cover of the John Denver classic "Take Me Home, Country Roads." Of course, they substituted "West Jamaica" for "West Virginia," and it occurred to me I'd much rather visit Jamaica than WVA. In fact, a trip to Jamaica is on my post Covid list.

Wifey and I honeymooned there in 1987. We could only afford 4 nights at a resort: Half Moon Bay, in Montego Bay. We loved it -- day trips to Ocho Rios, and a very chill pole voyage down the Martha Brae River. We took turns reading Steinbeck's "East of Eden," a novel in the hotel library. It was lovely.

On the trip home to Miami, I sat next to a real cool guy -- retired commodities broker from Chicago. He had spent an entire year in Negril, the resort town on the East Coast. He regaled me with tales of the place. When he learned how much I loved Key West, he said I MUST see Negril. I made a mental note -- a place to visit someday, even though I'm not much of a ganja guy -- I prefer vodka. I'm guessing they have vodka in Negril...

So Betsy, the enormous puppy, is curled up near my feet like a big rug. She whined for her parents for a few moments, but is now fine. The Special Needs Spaniel is sleeping on the couch, and the strange rescue Vienna, is on her bed enjoying the sunlight streaming in through the window. Jonathan accurately calls our house the house of misfit dogs, and he's right. But on this most chill afternoon, it's nice to be infested with canines.

Around 6 we'll head to Kenny and Joelle's -- nice bottle of red in tow. I'm hosting a 9 pm Zoom with our usual Friday night group -- the goal will be to try to stay awake until at least 10. We'll see...

My cheerful mail carrier brought me a late Chanukah gift: D1 had a small painting made of our house, Villa Wifey. She knows how much I love living here, and sent it with a beautiful message of how much love and support I give my family, and how this house is the center of that. I got a little teary eyed.

Speaking of honeymoons -- Wifey and my 34th wedding anniversary is January 3. Negotiations are underway among the Ds about where we get together -- a park near D1, or the park near D2. I'm happy if everyone just comes over here, and let the beautiful grandson and many dogs enjoy the company.

34 years. Wow. We'd only just begun -- two young adults starting a life together. We were absurdly blessed with the best daughters in the world, both of whom married wonderful men. And now there's another generation starting his second year on the planet.

Wifey asked me if I foresaw this. Truth is, I did -- I wanted us to be a foundation for a wonderful family, and we were -- caring for declining parents, helping nephews along, and now enjoying the fruits of our hard work. Each day and each night I give thanks to the Big Man for His manifold blessings.

So 2021 -- c'mon in! Hopefully it'll be a year of healing, instead of infection. And it'll be nice to have dogs around for the ride...

No comments: