Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Week 13

So one of the nice things about the plague, and my anxiety walks, is that I get to chat more with neighbors. One very nice lady is Jenny. She's from Idaho, and met Mike, her LI native husband, in the Merchant Marine. Mike is now an exec at FPL, and Jenny raises their two girls -- the oldest just graduated from Palmetto High and headed to the U in the Fall. Assuming there is a U in the Fall.

Anyway, I see Jenny out on her walks or runs, and she always notes what week of the pandemic we are in. Today she said "week 13." I replied that I just know months -- March 13 was our first day of quarantine -- so I guess we're nearing the end of three months.

It's been a quiet week, thankfully. D2 and Jonathan got out of their deal to buy a Grove townhouse, after Jonathan realized it was a block away from the school they desired -- despite the handsome but dumb ass realtor saying otherwise. They've learned a lesson about realtors -- don't trust them. They only want the commission, and will do or say anything to make the sale -- particularly when there is a big commission to be made. Now they know they have to check everything themselves -- a key lesson in life.

Many of my friends, even older, more at risk ones, are essentially done with quarantine. They fret, but go ahead with big public meetings, trips to stores, restaurants, etc...I pray that they are correct, and the rest of us are being unnecessarily careful. I guess time will tell.

Later on, Wifey and I are headed up to D1 and Joey's, so that our cleaning lady Miriam can come and do her work. We've decided to have her in, when we can be gone. She was here 2 Saturdays ago, and it was delightful to come home to her handiwork -- nothing like newly washed floors.

I think D1 and Joey are having their lady come Saturday, for the first time since quarantine, and spend the day with us. I look most forward to that -- hopefully D2 and Jonathan and their enormous puppy can join us, too.

Kenny and I took our final walk yesterday...at least until Fall. He's leaving Friday with Joelle and S2, Nathan, for their wonderful place in Maine. Their S1, Adam, will join them -- his gig at a school in New Hampshire is ending.  I envy Kenny and the cool weather he'll enjoy. He promised to join our Zoom happy hours with views of the lake. If only the breezes could be sent over the internet...

They'll be trading in the squawks of our peafowl for the cries of their loons.  When we were there last summer, I loved to listen to their cries over the lake in the evenings...

The social unrest seems to have quieted. Most of my friends, except the stupidly brave ones, have realized that in the current atmosphere, you just have to keep your mouth shut. Essentially anything a person not of color says is racist, or at least not anti-racist, which is just as bad.  I joke to my friends that if you are anti, anti racist, that means you ARE racist, correct? I knew I should have paid closer attention in Algebra class...

So, we'll just keep slogging along...week 13, per neighbor Jenny. I really, really want a return to normalcy...

No comments: