Thursday, June 18, 2020

Another One Bites The Dust

I don't care much for material possessions at all. At my 40th birthday, my Florida sister noted that I collect people the way others collect antiques and other stuff. She was right.

But I DO care about certain venues where I make memories with those I share time with. And -- I tend to be a creature of habit -- when I like a place, I go again and again.

And so today I was actually saddened when I got a FaceBook (tm) text from Norman: Christy's had closed!  The building it was in since 1979 was sold -- for over $4M, and I'm assuming the new owner is not planning on trying to continue the classic steakhouse. Either way -- the scene of many wonderful memories is no more.

I first visited for lunch, in law school. It was a rare, expensive luxury. My friend Mike had been many times with his family, but I was blown away. The Hauslers, an institution at UM Law, were there, along with their strange colleague Clifford Alloway. Supposedly the Hauslers ate there most nights -- it was said their house had no kitchen, as Jeannette, a Cuban exile who got a law degree, NEVER wanted to be asked to cook.  At the visit,  I thought to myself it would be great if someday I had the money to eat there regularly.

Well, the fates smiled, and I was. Christy's became our family go-to celebration restaurant. Mike, whose birthday is 4 days before mine, asked Loni to marry him there, and many years the 4 of us celebrated our birthdays there. We'd either plan some of the great trips we planned to take, or reminisced about past ones, as well as the tales of meeting as young singles, marrying, and raising kids to adulthood.

Kenny and Joelle had never been --until we finally went with them last year. And I recall some fine times with Norman and Deb, too.  Even Paul, my brother from Aventura who likes to stay "in the north" part of town, loved Christy's. He used to take his kids there for birthdays, and last year met Wifey and me, along with his fiance and our dear friend Allison. It was, as usual, a lovely night.

We celebrated D2's high school graduation there, in June of '10. After our late lunch, we wanted to keep the party going, but Christy's had no bar -- though they always served drinks. We took our group up the road a bit, to a French place now also closed. And then, a year later, Christy's finally put in a bar -- taking out one of the private dining rooms.

I would meet my banker friend Carole there, and sometimes my broker Oui. Carole drank bourbon. Oui would always ask the server for a good untried red wine.

In fact, my last time at Christy's was in February. Carole and I were catching up, and Mike called -- he and his boy Chris were going to La Trova in Little Havana for happy hour -- did I wish to join? I told him my situation, and instead he and Chris joined us. It was a fitting, final happy hour -- Chris was finishing law school, and we three regaled the young one about our experiences at the fabled, Gables restaurant.

So most of the great places of our younger years are gone. John Martin's closed in the Gables. Fox's, the place where I had my first martini with my mentor Ed, Mike's Dad, long ago closed. Probably worst for me is the loss of Tobacco Road -- the place I learned to love Blues music.

But, in the good news department, I read that another family favorite, Red Fish Grill, is re opening after a rebuild caused by Hurricane Irma. It's a gorgeous waterfront place, on the Bay near where we interred my Mom's cremains -- so that place has special, deep meaning. I hope to take our   family there once the plague eases up.

And -- the truth is -- the people matter most.  Just Tuesday night, we had a fine Zoom happy hour -- and Kenny attended from his house in Maine -- something that wouldn't have happened in normal times. The Zooms are great -- one is planned for this Friday -- and I host a recurring one Monday evening.

So -- adios to Christy's. We had some fine times there, and some fine prime rib, Caesar salad, and martinis.  Here's to the next fine place we all make our own...

No comments: