Sunday, November 24, 2019

Half A Great Day

So the weather was fine, and I had plans for a great Fall Miami day. I drove up to Shorecrest to fetch D1 ...early as usual.  I rang her new fangled doorbell, and she called ...would I fetch her from a brunch with friends in nearby Miami Shores? Of course I would.

Her longtime friend Hillary was there, with husband and new baby. They’re here from Chicago for TDay. Also present was Nicole ...back in Miami after long stints in SF and Austin.  She’s married and looking to start a family, too...and realizes there’s no place like home. It was great to catch up with the happy younguns...and then D1 and I were off to Downtown for the Book Fair. We parked by the former AAA and were warned: have your car out by 5. Mark Anthony was playing ...parking was going to be real high for that.

We walked the few blocks and got on the long line for entry to Dave Barry and Carl Hiassen. It was packed ...I figured we’d sit in the back...but then D1 spotted a friend who is an exec with the Baptist Hospital Foundation... the sponsor. We got upgraded to second row!

As bad as Debbie Harry was Wednesday, Dave and Carl were excellent. Dave
 Might be as funny a speaker as Ray Romano ...had us all laughing, and crying a bit as he told of his daughters scary medical episode. She is fine now!

We thanked D1’s friend, and then drove to a coffee place in Overtown. The former ghetto is gentrifying like the rest of the city. I had my first Nitro coffee. The caffeine blast lasted a full 12 hours.

I dropped off D1 and greeted her husband the Lorax, as she calls him. Joey loves being in his yard among the trees.

Then it was off to Marlins Park, to see the Canes easily defeat FIU. Wifey had begged off and Mirta begged in. The Canes were awful...and lost probably the worst loss in school history.

Oh well. I dropped Mirta at a house on the Miami River, where her boyfriend Jay was waiting for a motorcycle ride home.

Mirta and I enjoyed catching up. But the game...

So it was still a fine day. Great friends. Lovely weather. Just historically bad football.

No comments: