Friday, November 29, 2019

Debbie Downer Was Wrong

So I knew we were having a party of 18 for T Day, and a few weeks before, I started thinking it might be a problem. Wifey had decided to redecorate the house, and old furniture like dining room chairs was given away, while new stuff seemed slow to arrive. Also, she had the chandelier taken down, and the new one, a heavy, bulky one, defied easy installation -- 2 guys said they needed help to do it, lest it come crashing down, Marx Brothers-like...

Also, a week before, Wifey decided that bringing in food would be too much work -- she wanted it catered. I thought it was too close to the holiday to arrange that, and we'd have a bunch of loving family here waiting for pizza to arrive.

Well -- happily I was wrong. The electricians got the chandelier up Wednesday, and we had plenty of chairs. The living room was sparse, but guests congregated all around as they arrived.  The caterer sent Jesus, a VERY large and friendly man from Peru, and he was terrific. The food was awesome -- turkey, brisket, stuffing, veggies, mashed potatoes, and terrific apps. Plus, Jesus took over my bartending duties, and kept everyone happy and hydrated.

Jonathan's Venezuelan crew arrived first -- and we chatted excitedly about the wedding, less than 2 months away. Jonathan's grandmother Judy was visiting us for the first time -- a true matriarch of her family -- powerful and loving. The kind of grandparent I hope to someday be.

Joey's crew arrived next -- with a few Peruanas, and my fellow gringo, Rick -- married to Joey's brother's suegra. We joked that at the table, out of 18, the only native born Americans were Rick, the Ds, and me. And it was glorious.

We ate early, and then sat for coffee and dessert. One of our guests is a master baker, and brought a fruit cheesecake she made which was simply the best anyone ever had.

Late in the afternoon, we began the "after party." Jonathan's mother Liz played piano for us. We all agreed we were absurdly lucky to have our kids find and be with each other -- families on the completely same page in all the important aspects.

Jesus left, and Wifey and I cleaned up together -- I lifted the chairs back, and she cleared the table. There was a record low amount of tensosity, to use my late friend Alan's neologism. That was largely because we paid folks to do the work that would have kept us from enjoying the party.

I don't like stuff. Everyone joked that Black Friday was my anti-holiday. But I'm happy to pay for experiences -- and yesterday's was grand.

We also sang happy birthday to D1 -- in English, and Spanish -- twice. There are traditional Venezuelan AND Colombian songs -- D1 was celebrated in all three.

And so my family's high season is in full swing. T Day marks my favorite holiday, AND D1's birthday. December brings Chanukah, and a big day December 25th which we celebrate as Wifey's birthday. New Year's, of course, and our anniversary January 3. We joke that by the end of the year's first week, we're all partied out. But wait! There's more, as the old Ron Popeil commercials used to shout. We then have a big, fat, Venezuelan wedding at the end of January. I guess our high season of celebration is now being extended several weeks.

I'm up early, and waiting for the sun. I'll take the strange rescue dog for a mile trek in the cool morning. The Special Needs Spaniel will wait back on the couch.

My wish today is that friends far and near enjoyed their TDays as well. And if not -- change them next time around. Life's too short for holiday tensosity...


No comments: