Monday, August 26, 2019

Wherever you Go...There You Are

So were hung a lot with our friend Rob this weekend, and talked about his ex wife and ex live in girlfriend. The latter was bound for failure -- Monica is one of the most liberal people I know, and Rob is pretty conservative. Indeed, after a few years in Monica's house in Palmetto Bay, they were through.

After Rob, Monica met a very rich, much younger than her Jewish guy. Apparently his family wasn't too happy with her, but she seemed to be loving life -- FaceBook pictures from Paris and London, and Israel. Alas, that ended, too.

And now she is planning on leaving town. She is from LA, and moved to Miami probably 20 years ago. But now, per her FaceBook posts, Miami is a traffic clogged, swampy hot mess. The promised land is Colorado.

I wish her every happiness there. But, I discovered a long time ago, that geographic location only means so much. If you're blessed to live among those people you treasure most -- well, you can be ecstatic living anywhere, at least in the US. I joke with Wifey that if I had my dear friends with me, we'd all be happy in Omaha.

In fact, several years ago we traveled to Omaha -- to watch the Canes play Nebraska, and indeed had a lovely time. So there.

The truth is, Miami is a tough place to be for single women of a certain age -- and that age is probably greater than 40. The town attracts world class gorgeous women, and any guy with a bit of money feels like the proverbial kid in a candy store.

There are exceptions, of course, but most divorced or never married guys seem to want someone younger than they are.

Wifey noted that she felt she fit in, from a fashion sense, much more in Portland, Maine than at home. She prefers the casual look of northern places. But she loves it here -- especially now that D2 and Jonathan are coming home.

I used to think I might prefer a quieter place as I aged. But I've learned that as I have more free time, I really appreciate being somewhere where there is always something going on -- sports, great restaurants, concerts.

Mike called early this am to plan our tailgate for the Rolling Stones, up at Joe Robbie Stadium. We'll arrive early, and set up -- a bunch of friends are going, and hopefully we can all meet -- I can't watch aging rockers from the upper deck of a stadium without sufficient buzz material...

So I wish Rob's ex the best -- she is a very nice woman. She'll be the typical ex Miamian who bashes the place. I actually like that -- this city is too damn crowded. The more people who get scared away -- the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I used to tell high school acquaintances how great it was her. I no longer do. In fact -- one old friend, Marcy, was divorced after a long marriage, and emailed me about moving here -- her girls are grown and she's an empty nester. I told her she'd be much happier up in Palm Beach County -- this is no place for older folks anymore. Turns out she's staying in New Jersey, in a smaller house.

So wherever you go -- there you are.

No comments: