Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Crib Hunting

Moss doesn't grow on my Ds -- when they have a plan, they act on it. So Sunday night, as soon as D2 learned that her man had accepted the new Miami job, she reached out to Isaac, Joey's cousin.

Isaac is a wonderful young man -- movie star handsome, like Valentino from the silent film days, and a very successful realtor. He helped D1 and Joey with their first house -- I have referred him to my friend Kenny to search for a rental place when he decides to sell his house.

And indeed, though it was Sunday night, Isaac sprang into action -- sending D2 several properties to check out in Coconut Grove, the part of town that makes the most sense to her and Jonathan. Yesterday Wifey and I went with her to look at them.

The first few were new, low rise buildings on Bird Avenue, close to the brick building where I had my second law job, on 27 Avenue. The units were nice enough, though facing a halted construction project next door, and a pretty far walk to the center of the Grove. Next we saw a three story townhouse a bit closer to US 1 -- probably more appropriate for a relocating family with a few kids.

And then we drove to Yacht Harbor -- a building built in the heyday of the Grove -- next to the Mutiny, the center of ALL the action during the Cocaine Cowboy days. I knew the building, but had never been inside -- sure enough, the lobby was Polynesian inspired, like Grove Isle, another project from that time.

But the unit we saw was modern, and rather stunning. It was a one bedroom for around the same rent D2 and Jonathan pay now in the West Village -- but three times the size, and with an a (pause) mazing view of the Bay. I fell in love with it -- videotaped it and sent it to Jonathan. If I were choosing -- that would be it for me -- steps to everything in the Grove -- even walking distance to Fresh Market  -- probably the most NYC -like lifestyle there is to be found here -- other than maybe South Beach.

And the last unit was the Ritz Carlton. The place was, well, a Ritz Carlton -- stunning and classy. The unit was smaller than Yacht Harbor, but comes with the use of the ridiculously beautiful facilities of the hotel -- gym, pool, sauna.

And if you live there, as I pointed out to D2, each day would be a sea of "good mornings" and "my pleasures" from the highly trained and classy staff.

We hosted a few Thanksgivings at that property over the years, and D2 knows it well. It's also a bit longer walk to the middle of town.

But it sure wouldn't suck to live there...

Isaac took leave for a meeting in Aventura, and Wifey, D2, and I drove home in a classic torrential Miami summer downpour.

Usually I have great sadness when D2 is leaving for NYC -- the knowledge I won't see her for another month or so.

But not yesterday! I happily bused her bag to the trunk, and dropped her at MIA, knowing that next Dadber pick up might be for keeps.

Wifey pointed out that D2 got to live where I always wanted to, temporarily -- Greenwich Village. And now it appears she'll live in a place I also wanted to live -- the Grove.

But the difference is -- we may indeed join her there -- to also be closer to D1 and Joey.

These are good choices to have.

No comments: