Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Dadber Working Late

I long ago gave up picking up or dropping people off at the airport, with the notable exceptions of Wifey and the Ds and their men.  I call the service Dadber, and tonight I have some late work to do.

D2 is working, and then leaving LGA afterwards, and so not due into MIA until after 11 pm.  I can't wait to see her.

Her dear friend Catherine is  hosting a pre wedding girls' weekend in Key West. I think 10 or 11 friends are meeting at Cath's house in Pinecrest, and getting on a party bus for a weekend hen party. I offered to drive the bus, and was politely declined. The truth is, I would have been terrific -- I know all the fun spots between Miami and the end of the line. Oh well...

Cath and D2 have known each other since Middle School, and then became sorority sisters at UF. Cath met Jacob, a wonderful young man, at UF -- he was in Dental School there, and the two will marry at the Rusty Pelican in November. Wifey and I are invited, and I am looking forward to celebrating the union of these two wonderful young people.

They live in Atlanta -- Cath went to Emory Law -- and Jacob went to UGA undergrad. Like me, he rather despises the Gator football team.

Their wedding day is Florida/Georgia, and also the day Canes play FSU. I'm guessing there'll be a LOT of phone checking throughout the day. But the wedding will be the prime event.

D2 and I have a father/daughter workout scheduled for Thursday am. On Friday, we'll meet D1 for a late breakfast, and then. like the old days, I'll drop off my girl for the play date at Cath's...

I love having her and Jonathan in the 305, and hope they return someday.

Meanwhile, yesterday I breathed a sigh of relief. D2 wants a svelte FOB (father of bride) at her January wedding, and I promised her I would lose 5 pounds, as a start, by the time she returned to Miami, from her trip last month. I was a pound off, but D2 reminded me the weighing was without shoes -- so I made it!  But, I committed to continuing on the path to better eating, along with the exercise I have been committed to since last Fall.  I truly hope to hang around a long time.

So the dog days of Summer continue. But August holds great stuff -- D2 at the top of the list. And two weeks from Friday, Wifey and I are off to Orlando for a Canes football weekend -- they open against the hated Gators. At least 50 of us are headed up there -- it ought to be a party weekend.

I don't think we'll be tailgating -- apparently the lots were all taken by corporate sponsors. The plan will be a barbecue at Mike's sister Jeannine's house -- she lives north of Orlando -- and bar hopping at Church Street on Saturday night.

When I was last at the old Tangerine Bowl, you couldn't walk more than a block away -- it was the roughest part of Orlando. Apparently they've gentrified it a bit.  Laughter and good times await.

But for tonight -- Dadber rides. It's a job I greatly enjoy.

No comments: