Thursday, March 7, 2019

Food Safety Issues

So D1 is dietitian to the very exclusive Ocean Reef Club, and has to, during the "season," which is now, drive there weekly to give presentations to the residents. She doesn't like long, solo drives, and last week recruited her adoring suegra, Jacqui, to go with her. They had a lovely time.

Wifey, not one to be cast as second suegra, volunteered to go yesterday, and also had a great time. The two suegras both enjoyed the jaunt so much, they've agreed to split the remaining two trips. D2 is a lucky girl to be fought over by her mother and suegra...

Anyway, I got home and half hour later Wifey and D1 arrived -- D1 immediately headed for the dog laden couch to do some computer work.

Kenny had texted -- could he stop by to use my notary service for a medical license? He could, and the 4 of us ended up having a nice little getty -- Kenny and I with an adult beverage each.

I told him I never drink alone in my house. I'm not sure why -- I guess it's the last vestige of my father inspired very light drinking -- so I enjoy when a guest arrives and I can pour a few cocktails.

Kenny left, and we decided to go to a restaurant on D1's way home to Shorecrest. I suggested Hallal Guys, a newly opened outpost of a crowded NYC staple. We caravan drove to South Miami.

We walked into the place. No one else was there. The staff seemed to fumble around. D1's food safety antennae came up -- she noticed frozen chicken thawing in a counter next to hummus. Wifey had already ordered only a hummus -- she had scarfed down a tuna sandwich from the night before. 

D1 said to me, quietly -- no way we were staying. Sure enough, I went to pay for Wifey's take out -- the counter guy couldn't figure out the register. The manager came out -- a comically annoyed woman from, I'm guessing, Andre Dawson's childhood neighborhood.

The signs all pointed to a place to be avoided.

Wifey and I had dinner at next door Root and Bone the night before, so we thought -- let's go again. It was packed, but if we didn't mind outside, we could have a table. Mind? The weather was perfect.

Old friends came in -- the younger brothers of one of D2's brother of another mother, Ben. Josh is finishing up at UF Law, and starting at the Miami Dade State Attorney's office. Ethan is a Gator undergrad. They were both in for Spring Break -- Josh's final one, as he reminded us.

Their Mom Julie, who we all adore, soon followed, with her BFF Meredith, who moved to California, but always seems to still be in the 305. Sure enough, Meredith announced they bought a second home in Sunny Isles -- the Bay Area was just a bit too chilly for her during much of the year.

We were seated, and I did not order friend chicken or ribs -- I followed D1's lead with a kale caesar salad with chicken. It was actually quite tasty.

We walked D1 to her car, and she was off for home. Wifey and I came back to Pinecrest, and I lit a roaring fire in the outdoor pit. Bo, the special needs Spaniel, sat in Wifey's lap.  It was a delightful night.

Tonight, my sister of another mister Mirta is meeting us for dinner -- yesterday was her birthday. Her sons took her out -- Wifey and I get our turn tonight.

This is the time of the best Miami weather, and a nice time to enjoy being empty nesters.

D2 called on her trudge to work -- NYC is freezing. But, alas, she's coming home next week, for a long weekend. We'll warm her up. And D1 will insure she only eats safe food.

No comments: