Sunday, January 28, 2018

We'll Always Have..Bogota

When the Ds were small, we'd travel quite a bit.  Wifey was mostly the reason -- when we had the money for it, and even before we had the money for it, she'd plan trips for us -- several times to Europe, Alaska, many US states.  But then she developed a bad back, and travel took a hike for awhile.

She had a trip planned for our 25th wedding anniversary -- Paris and Normandy. Paris would be romantic, and Normandy historical -- as the son of a WWII vet, I've always had a deep interest in The Big One.  We had to cancel, and several years later, I took the Ds to Europe without her -- a Danube River cruise followed by several days in the City of Light.  Wifey always wanted to go back.

I haven't really wanted to travel far over the past few years -- at least out of the US.  We did a Maritimes cruise for Wifey and her BFF Edna's major birthday -- a number I'm not allowed to publicize was their 60th.  But Canada has always seemed, to me, sort of like part of the US.

Well, the traveling days have returned.  Wednesday we're going with D1 and Joey to our son in law's native land, Colombia.  We fly to Bogota, and the next day D2 and her man Jonathan will join us from NYC.  Jonathan's native land is Venezuela -- next to Colombia, but he's never visited the newly peaceful neighboring country either.

We're all excited. We'll meet some of Joey's family who didn't make it here for the Big, Fat Colombian wedding.  Joey has a full itinerary planned -- after Shabbat dinner with his family Friday, our sextet flies to Cartegena.  I'll get to watch the Super Bowl there -- assuming I can find a TV on not showing the OTHER kind of football...

We'll celebrate D2's 26th -- she was born the Day the Music Died, per Don McLean.  We always try to be all together of the Ds' birthdays -- and it warms me to be able to do it on another continent this year.

And there's still Paris out there.  I think we're finally going to go -- this Spring.  Last summer we had a great time in the US Northwest with Loni and Mike, and I mentioned the France trip to them.  They've never been. So if we can jibe our schedules, sometime after the English AP exams Loni's kids take, we may plan our trip.

Last night, out to a late dinner at a local Thai place, the idea seemed to gain traction. Our other friends Darriel and Paul were there, and they had visited last year with their beloved granddaughter.  Darriel loved the city, but wants to someday return without and kids in tow.  She was thrilled we may get to go together.

Truth is, I really loved Paris. The Ds and I sat in the Tulieres, drinking hot chocolate, and bathing in the beautiful light.  There have been a handful of places I've visited where I truly felt a spirit of the place -- Paris was one of them.

So I think it may come to pass this Spring.  Paris in the Spring. A cliche I hope to live out with Wifey.

But first, the land of Magical Realism beckons.  And the Ds and their awesome men.  Now where did I leave those passports?

No comments: