Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Not Quitting My Day Job for Gambling

So there's one sport I think I know very well -- college football.  I've been a huge Canes fan since my freshman year, 1979, and even when Miami isn't playing, I love to watch and talk about the sport.

Last night was the championship for the '17 season, one in which my beloved Canes had a fine season, and showed they can compete again at the highest level.  But the ring was to be fought for by Alabama and Georgia.

I don't like Alabama, for many reasons. First, their coach, Saban, lied when he abandoned the Miami Dolphins to become the best college coach, by far. Also, the fact that the state of Alabama even came close to electing Roy Moore speaks about who they are (though Florida elected Rick Scott, so I guess I can't judge that way).

Georgia -- eh, kind of neutral.  I have some friends who are Bulldogs, so I guess that counts a bit.  So I decided to pull for Georgia.

But my friend had a suggestion -- bet on the game, and then you'll have a real rooting interest.  Alabama was favored by 5 points to win.  My head told me they'd dominate Georgia -- so the bet seemed an easy one.

My friend called his friends in Philly, who called their friends, and  I placed my bet -- $100 on Alabama to win.

I sat down with Wifey to watch the game -- and sure enough, Georgia took a 13-0 halftime lead.  Sleep called more than my desire to see who won, and so I was out before the third quarter began.  I awoke this am to read that the WORST possible thing happened for my interests -- Alabama won, but didn't cover the spread.  Translation:  the team I sort of wanted to win lost, and I also lost the monetary bet...

It sort of figures.  My luck gambling, for the little I do, has been nonexistent.  My last 4 trips to the horse track, over the past year and a half, have produced only losers...

So as I continue my quest to find a more fulfilling career than law, I now one thing: it won't be in sports gambling...

I feel worse for my buddy Jim.  He LOVES sports, and his teams are all the Miami ones, plus his alma mater, Georgia.  He was thrilled his boys were going to the 'ship.  And they nearly won, too, but then the evil master Saban changed quarterbacks to a kid from Hawaii, of all places, and the Crimson Tide won.

It's funny -- Steely Dan needed sports teams to represent winners and losers for one of their songs in the early 70s.  Alabama were the winners, and Wake Forest, a small ACC school, the losers.  Little has changed since then.

So the back water state Alabama still has their dynasty to cheer for.  Eh.  Maybe next year the championship will again be colored orange and green...

No comments: