Thursday, July 13, 2017

Hasta 7 Weeks, D2

Yesterday was D2's last day in the 305 before heading back to the 212.  I did my Dadber routine -- shuttling her to a dental appointment, and then a stop to fetch some contact lenses, before lunch at LOL.  From there it was home, so say adios to Wifey and the dogs, and then I dropped her at MIA.

I missed her as I watched her walk into the terminal, but was happy that her man Jonathan was to meet her there, and the two would enjoy a bit of the Centurion Lounge before their flight.  I'm happiest when both Ds are in my bailiwick...

I think this visit resonated even more than most with D2, and Jonathan as well.  They just signed a two year lease for their Greenwich Village apartment, and I think that might be the duration of their NYC sabbatical.  NYC truly is the world's best city, in my opinion, and I'm thrilled they're getting to live there, and REALLY live there, in Manhattan, the heart of things.  But the 305 lifestyle is easier, and better.

Plus, I keep joking that Jonathan is required by law to return to the 305, as he is a Latin Jew, in the way that Northeastern Jews who turn 65 are now required by law to move to Palm Beach County.  I think Jonathan may agree...

In any event, I then drove to my office to check on the mail, and catch up with my compadres, and then I left at 5 for a typically 30 minute drive to South Miami.  But it rained, and despite living in the Tropics, that seems to confound Miami drivers, so it took a full hour and 15 minutes to make it to my meeting, with my old friend Kenny.

Kenny is a retired Navy Captain, and current Peds radiologist, and he was killing some time before fetching his wife at MIA -- she was in Chicago attending a critically important meeting of law professors.  I say this in jest -- to me, law professors are among the most un-needed professionals in American society -- but, hey, they feel otherwise, especially when they congregate to discuss their important things...

We had dinner at No Name Chinese, a place that opened a month or so ago, by three young fellows who had met at Ransom High.  The food was delicious, and reasonably priced.  Sure enough, even though it was a stormy Wednesday night, the place was packed.  I saw zero Asians there, which is a bit contrary to usual for Chinese places, but then again, the best Jewish deli in Miami is co-owned by an Egyptian Muslim guy, so how can I judge?

I brought home some delicious beef and broccoli for Wifey.  She put in on the kitchen table, and it was stolen by our strange, short rescue dog, who jumped onto a kitchen chair and then table to steal it.  I asked Vienna if she liked the food.  She looked at me and licked her chops -- I took that as a yes...

So D2 is due back in less than two months, and I look most forward to it.  We speak most days, either on her way to or from work,but it's still best when she's here.  I raised two daddy's girls, and I'm thrilled I did.

No comments: