Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Vacation -- All We Ever Wanted...

One of our nicknames for D1 is "rain man," since she has a strange capacity to recall odd dates and events.  We'll typically get a message telling us that a particular dog is "four and a half today." It's actually pretty charming.  So yesterday she sent us some photos, and recalled that exactly two years ago, we were in Switzerland -- following Israel.  It was a terrific trip for all of us, but it reminded us that, other than weekends in NYC, and a long weekend in the Bay Area, Wifey and I haven't been away in quite awhile. Wait -- there WAS the week long cruise to the Maritimes...


It's mostly my fault.  No -- it's totally my fault.  I have little desire to travel, on account of the fact that I really love where I live.  Plus, with the Big, Fat, Colombian wedding a few months away, the thought of planning a trip has been even farther from my mind.


Alas -- a few weeks ago, we were on a staycation with Eric and Dana, in Wynwood, and they told us how much they loved their visits to Oregon.  Wifey pronounces it, like any proper former Brooklyn-ite, ÄRE -o Gon.  I've never been there, and it appeals to me, too, so yesterday I booked us some American tickets for the final week of July.


We'll fly to Portland, kick around the Oregon Wine Country, maybe stop at the coast, and then drive to Seattle.  I was there for a few days and really dug the place.  We'll visit Pike's Market, the Chihully exhibit, and the new museum founded by Paul Allen, the Microsoft guy.  They have a great exhibit on late American culture, with, of course, an entire section of Kurt Cobain.  I learned a lot when I was there.


July and August are my favorite times to leave Miami -- the summer heat seems to really get to me by then -- and the cool Pacific Northwest ought to be a nice change.


As Wifey enjoys reminding me, almost all of the time, our vacations are her idea, I go a bit reluctantly, and end up having a great time.  I anticipate this will be the experience this time, as well.


Before then, though, we have local business:  Eric and Dana's girl Jenn is getting married this weekend.  Friday night we're carpooling with Barry and Donna to Boca, for an Italian Shabbos at a restaurant near their house.  Then Sunday we get a reprise trip up the Turnpike, for the big event itself -- after which we're spending the night at a Boca hotel.  We host some friends there Monday am, and then head home.


Wifey wants to stop by Urban Beach Weekend on Miami Beach, but I explained most of the events will be over by the time we return to the 305.  Now she has to return the spandex pants she was hoping to wear.


I'm looking very forward to the balance of '17, if I don't say so myself...

No comments: