Sunday, May 21, 2017

Time Passages

So Wifey and I hosted my dear friend Alex yesterday, with his wonderful kids and mom Joanne.  We shared lunch and laughter -- Alex's Dad is my partner and brother Paul, who is 11 years older than I.  After they left, Wifey said she too wanted grand kids -- she was ready to supplement the furry grand dogs with some human types...hopefully this will come sooner than later.

D1 and Joey came over this am, with a late MD and early FD gift.  They got us a Nest thermostat, so we could join the 21st century and program our A/C, or at least one of them, from our phones.  Joey is FAR handier than I -- he loves putting things together, and with me holding the screws, he had the thing installed in no time.  We joked that D2 and her man Jonathan will be needing his services, soon -- when they move there'll be furniture to assemble.  They had a chair or two in their Murray Hill place that sat in boxes until Joey did the job.  Among all his awesomeness as a son in law, having a handy fellow around is an added benefit...

Then I fielded a call from Dr. Barry -- on his way home from a fetch college kid for the summer trip.  Scott is now 1/2 done with his stint at College Park, MD -- he has a great internship in the 954, very close to home.

I did my last college or grad school schlep home 2 years ago.  I really savored those years, but it's nice to be past them.  Living vicariously through Barry is good enough for me.

Time passages get mixed up these days, via multiple marriages.  Our next door neighbor Alfredo is my age, and has two grown kids -- and a grand daughter, too.  He is now married to a wife about 30 years his junior, and there are 4 little ones and another on the way.  They built an awesome playground, and I told Alfredo I hoped someday to bring my grandkids over.  "Grandkids?  You're MY age -- have some more kids of your own!"

All I could think of was my old boss Ed's great expression for showing distaste: I'd rather drink Drano.  About the LAST thing I'd want now is more kids -- the kind that come with built in parents are what I'd like to have.

So it's nice to have these time passages.  Joey's brother and sister in law are buying their first house, and D1 and Joey are having those first discussions in that arena, too.  They really dig the 'hood of Morningside, a gated in area just north of Downtown.  I've been there once, and really liked it, too.

I guess the coming time will tell -- it always does.

No comments: