Saturday, May 13, 2017

Everything's Quiet on Mother's Day

So tomorrow is MD, a kind of sad day for me, as I ain't got no living mother no more.  Tomorrow is the 4th anniversary of spreading Mom's ashes in Biscayne Bay  -she had died in late April, and the ashes arrived in my house Saturday afternoon. I placed the wooden box on top of a desk, and when Wifey and the Ds returned (D2 was already home from UF) I asked why they rudely ignored Grandma.  They looked puzzled, and I pointed at the box containing the cremains ( I love that word).  They shrieked, and to keep peace and the creepy factor in my house low, we decided that MD would be the right time to spread the ashes.  We did.

Of course, being married to my baby momma, attention must still be paid to MD.  We were invited to a brunch at Geoff and Renee's, in Lauderdale.  Wifey really likes them, as does D1, and so we'll fetch D1 early tomorrow PM and cruise up to East Lauderdale.  D2 will send greetings from NYC, and Joey is spending the day with his mom Jackie. Last time I was at Geoff and Renee's, for post Yom Kippur break fast, I pulled quite a stunt:  I swung at a glass filled with red wine with the velocity of the King, from the King and his Court, and sent a good amount of Pino onto a rug and chair.  I was horrified and chastened -- they were gracious and forgiving.  Of course I paid for the cleaning, and sent Renee a certificate to the family jewelry store.  Still, I plan to bring a couple bottles of white wine tomorrow...

There is also another remaining mother in the family: my suegra.  Thankfully, for scheduling purposes, the Palace is having a celebration today, at 12:30.  Wifey and I will attend the event, and then spend some time at the Palace's gazebo -- our go-to hang out place.  My mother in law finds some stuff to complain about, of course, since in her tradition when you stop complaining, you die, but we rest very well with the care she gets there.

Years ago, I visited my maternal grandmother in the hospital.  She was in her mid 90s.  I spent a childhood never understanding Anna well -- the combination of the heavy Yiddish accent and the fact that she mumbled always baffled me.  But that last time I saw her, she looked me clear in the eye, and said, clearly, "It's no good, David...no good.  It's no good to get this old."  She was wise, of course, and we see it with my mother in law.  She has outlived essentially everyone important to her life, except for Wifey and my Ds.  She just sort of goes on and on.  Keeping her well cared for is the best and only thing to do, and I'm sworn to do it until we place her next to her beloved husband.

Last week we took her to the cemetery for the first time since we buried my father in law.  We placed stones on his marker, as is tradition, and Rachel sat on a stone bench and wept, asking why he had to leave "so soon."

We have plans later to see the new movie "Norman," with Deb and Norman, so we have an evening planned of synchronicity.  And all is quiet on Mother's Day.

No comments: