Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Quit Jamming Me

So it happened about an hour into last night's presidential debate: I realized I was over the whole thing.  Of course no thinking person can support Trump. Of course Clinton is a connected, sleazy career politician. Whatever.

We watched at my friend Kenny's house. Kenny is a retired US Navy Captain, who is very liberal. He donates to charities that assist gays in the military. His wife was out of town -- she's extremely liberal, too. She and I argue about Israel -- she's one of these anti Zionist Jews I can't stomach -- the poor terrorists, etc... I'm glad she wasn't there.

Kenny had a work colleague over, with his husband. The two were great guys -- both born and raised orthodox Jews in Brooklyn, who met in med school, and then the love that dare not speak its name bloomed.  One is a radiologist, and the other an ophthamologist.  The eye doc was VERY nervous about the debate -- he truly can't imagine living in a nation with Trump as president.  His calmer partner kept trying to calm him down.

An hour into it, I started surfing the web on my phone.  I'll vote for Hillary, of course. The only real mark a president makes is the Supreme Court justices he or she appoints, assuming they get confirmed.  Other than that, if Trump slips in, I'll take my medicine of paying lower taxes and being told its ok to ignore the poor, with some spoons full of vodka.

I'm also totally over Zika. I know it can do some scary stuff, but I just can't stand hearing about it anymore -- the nuts opposed to spraying, those who think they can wipe out all mosquitoes.  Our local Village, Pinecrest, is getting into the act.  We got notified that "specially trained inspectors" will be coming onto properties, to look for mosquito breeding grounds. My first thought was that some idiot will try to spray my pond, and kill my koi and cichlids! My fish EAT all insect larvae, and my pond is not a bug source, but I can just imagine some moron totally not getting that.

Wifey and I are leaving Saturday, and told D1 and her friend British Sarah, who are sharing house and dog sitting duties, to just tell any would be fish killers that they are NOT allowed on the property until the owners return. I fear a Waco-like standoff when I return...me waving a dead koi menacingly...

The third best thing to come out of Gainesville, after my Ds, is Tom Petty, and he predicted my feelings many years ago, in his song "You're Jamming Me." He sang about a litany of over heated news subjects, like Vanessa Redgrave, and Joe Piscopo, and told them to all go take a hike -- he had heard about them enough.

For me, Hillary and Donald, and Zika are now on that list. Wake me in November, when the election is over and hopefully cooler temperatures in Miami have done away with killer bugs.

No comments: