Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Fear of Success

There are so many business failures out there, and the successes seem rare. As I age, having run a law business for nearly 22 years, I've become somewhat of a lay observer of the qualities on each side of the line. When my partner and I were very active, for say the first 12-15 years of our practice, we were relentless in our handling of our clients' cases. Of course, Justice Holmes said that justice delayed is justice denied, but there's also the practical side of things in running a contingency fee firm: you only get paid when the case is over. When we had a tentative six or seven figure settlement, we got the money in, and fast. Paul and I shared that hunger -- we figured the money was much better served in our clients' bank accounts and our own, as opposed to an insurance carrier or corporation holding the bucks. I used all of my powers to rapidly work out medical liens -- telling providers there was an offer they couldn't refuse -- either take something back, or go beg the court for more. I never had to attend a hearing. I have learned that few other firms handle things with the same alacrity. And I just don't get it. If you do a job, you ought to be paid, at that time. Letting days, weeks, or months go by -- why is that? I've concluded that sometimes there are deep and bizarre psychological issues at play. I think some people actually fear success. We all like to complain. I always related to the great Joe Walsh line: I can't complain but sometimes I still do. But I'd much rather exult in success. I'm not afraid of it. I love it and appreciate it. It seems to lead to other success. Failure forms a whirlpool that sucks so much down into it. Fortunately, my Ds have inherited this. When an opportunity comes their way -- they're ON it. A few weeks ago I ran into an old banker fan, who was having lunch with his firm's marketing director. We chatted, and I told her about D1's new business. She had interest. I told D1. The two met two days later. So here's to opportunity, and embracing the wins.

No comments: