Monday, January 18, 2016

A Death Scare and a Lovely Sunday

Wifey and I typically visit Miami Jewish Home Sundays, where we see her Dad, now 6 months in hospice, and take her Mother out for lunch. We planned to do so yesterday, when a call came from Carole, my father in law's long time nurse: he looked "not good, wasn't responsive," and we needed to come. So we left a bit more hastily than usual, and when we arrived, Wifey asked me to wait downstairs for her mother, so I might prepare her for what was coming. Being the master of preparation, I called Rabbi Yossi, and told him he might be needed soon. He was on a family trip, in the not very Jewish place of St. Augustine, and would, of course, drive back if needed. Ha. As if. He would see to it that a replacement rabbi would cover the funeral. He would only cut short a vacation for a six figure donor -- as in six figure NOW. He didn't say this, of course, but I intend to happily grind him about this reality when I next see him. I called the Ds, and told them some sad news might be coming. But then -- not so fast! My father in law was asleep, but his vitals were all fine. He basically looked the same to me as he has on some of our recent visits -- like a 90.5 year old man who is dying, but not right away. He gripped Wifey and my mother in law's hands when asked, and seemed, well, so peaceful. I was convinced he would pass last Summer, after a bout of complete sepsis landed him in the ICU at Mt. Sinai Hospital, but he rebounded, strongly. So I'm done prognosticating about the end of my father in law's time here, although if I were a betting man, I'd bet he is going to make 91, this coming May. Wifey and I left and drove the short way to Midtown, where we visited D1 and her boyfriend Joey. Joey bought a unit 6 years ago at a condo there, on a short sale, and we marveled at his 12th floor views of Biscayne Bay and Downtown. Wifey caught up with her grand dog Mads, who seemed to enjoy Midtown. We left, and instead of heading South, were drawn to a pizza place on the first floor, I (heart) pizza. We ordered a few slices, and tasted pizza heaven. It was delicious -- crisp crust -- as good as any classic NY pizza place. The owner, sure enough was an Italian guy from the City -- I complemented him, and he told me in his thick accent to come back soon. Young people and dogs and babies clogged the sidewalks -- it was a lovely scene. It was so nice to see true city living come to that formerly decaying part of the city. We got back into Wifey's SUV, and there was still daylight, and comfortably falling temperatures, so we made a late visit to the U. The Beaux Arts Festival was there, and we strolled among the booths, appreciating the beautiful stuff. Wifey and I are on a strict de clutter program, so we didn't even think about buying anything -- but enjoyed the displays nonetheless. We walked across the new bridge outgoing squat president Shalala had build across the lake, and I told Wifey the tale about how it was funded, which was relayed to me by the Dean of students. We went to a Starbucks (tm) in the new student union, and sat outside, toasting the years we've spent together. Wifey knows how much I love being on campus, and I told her how D1 told me she shares that special sense of place -- she was on campus last week teaching a MS Dietetics class as a substitute for a former colleague from her last job at the med center. So the day went from death vigil to celebration of the best of life. Talk about a microcosm...

No comments: