Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Pinecrest Bachelor

So I dropped Wifey and D2 at MIA on Thursday morning, and I have been a single guy ever since. My first order of business was breakfast - read the entire issue of New Times at Bagel Emporium, across from the U. At the next table there were 4 dudes -- reminded me of Barry, Eric, and Jorge and I 30 years ago. They were talking loudly and having fun. I then returned to Villa Wifey to close the gate after the tree trimmers left -- they finished half the job, which consists of removing branches that grow over the roof -- lessening the risk of breaking tiles during a bad storm. Dave, the company owner, called to say they had a "tree emergency" and would need to finish next week. I told him none of my trees looked particularly threatening -- so it was cool with me. Friday I took care of the dogs, and then headed to the office for a few hours of frustration. Cases seem to move so damn slowly, and we don't get paid until they're over. It never seemed to be a problem in the past, but it is now. As Tony S says, what are ya gonna do? Norman invited me to dinner with his three sons and father. Max is my favorite POF (parent of friend). We all ordered parmesan -- a few veals, one chicken, and a few shrimp. It seemed the manly thing to avoid fish and healthy things as our wives were not present. Norman's clan enjoyed Salvatore D's -- our local nice Italian place. We talked of times gone by and times to come. It was terrific. Today D1 is coming by to check in on her elderly Dad, and then I'm meeting my sister of another mother Mirta at Miami Jewish. I'll check in on Wifey's REALLY elderly Dad. Wifey is taking a well deserved week long break from dealing with her parents. Her mother, healthy as a schtetl donkey, is particularly demanding. Wifey is a fine case manager -- juggling several drivers, taking care of appointments, dealing with all the minutiae of her Mom's life. But still the accusatory guilt ridden calls come -- and when they're said with a strong Yiddish accent, they seem even more plaintive... Well not for a week! Wifey and Edna, her BFF, have been living it up --dinner with the daughters Thursday, "Motown" at the Fox Theatre last night, and 3 days in an Asheville B and B coming up. Meanwhile, I'm here with the dogs, where I belong... D2 comes home tomorrow afternoon, and I plan to savor the time. She's due to leave for NYC 9 days later -- she bought the first one way ticket ever. I'm thrilled for her, and I know she's a little anxious and also thrilled. If she can make it there... Meanwhile, a hurricane spins in the Atlantic -- Danny. It looks like it won't affect us, but it's DNA worries me -- a lot like Andrew, which most certainly DID affect us. Still, storms will come, or they won't. We prepare for them and hope they miss us. It sure is quiet around here, in the mean time...

No comments: