Saturday, August 8, 2015

The Good News is, It Won't Get Any Hotter

And so we sweat nearing mid August of the Miami Summer...and although hot, as usual, it hasn't been as brutal as some past summers... Our lives in the 305 have been a microcosm of the great circle: Wifey's father fades away, as the Ds make plans to start new chapters of their young lives, and Wifey and I, as befitting the term, are sandwiched in between. After a hellish day, maybe the worst of Wifey's life, her Dad got the right pain meds and is resting quietly. D1 visited the other day, and reported he is "unarousable," and Wifey, D2, and I spent time with him yesterday and learned her decription was apt. Wifey is coming to terms with the inevitable -- stroking his arm, telling him how much she loves him, and crying...a lot. She is s rookie, thankfully, in the dying parents league. I joined the league when I was only 20 --I wish I hadn't. D1 is working at JMH, each day SMH her head about the absurd bureacracy, but learning, learning, learning. She's been scouting out locations for an office for her coming private practice, and seems to have narrowed her choices to two -- both in the Gables -- which is key for her wish to attract patients with means... I'm so proud of her -- she is truly laying serious groundwork -- corporate set up, banking, web site, and now meeting with pro marketers for cement her brand and marketing strategies. At happy hour the other night, my best law school friend asked whether she took out a SBA loan. No, I told him, she has an angel investor named Dad. Still, I made it clear to her that I wouldn't put money into this enterprise if I thought it wouldn't soar -- and I think it will... D2 bought a one way ticket to NYC. It's the first time, I think, that she has bought a one way ticket. Wifey is flying up with her, assuming she isn't needed here for her Dad, to help her organize and decorate her apartment in Murray Hill. The good news is the day they leave, September 5, is also the date of the first Canes game, so I can deal with my sorrow at a tailgate party, with the help of some vodka...I have learned one needs to dull the pain of life, somehow... So the Ds are, thankfully, in a great place, and I look forward to helping D1 in her practice, and visiting D2 in NYC. We booked a trip there for Thanksgiving -- the first time I'll be in NY for T Day since 1978, when I was a high school senior. Since D2 is going to work for Macy's, I think we'll get passes for a "background tour" of the famous parade floats. I hope D2 gets to hold the ropes for Underdog --always my favorite... Last night, we all mustered at a Brickell Italian place, Spaghatini, for a very early dinner. D1 pulled her hair back and effected a flawless Wifey imitation -- with Wifey's trademarked resting frown. I took a picture, and we all laughed deeply. I had a glass of Chianti, and I toasted these three women -- Wifey, dealing with sadness, and the Ds, dealing with it, too, but more importantly, perched to soar into their futures. Walking back to D1's apartment, the heat didn't bother me at all.

No comments: