Friday, August 28, 2015

A Reunion and a Shocking Death

So Wifey returned yesterday from ATL and Asheville, and I met her at MIA with a delicious turkey (pavo) sandwich from Latin Cafe, and an icy Diet Coke. I still know how to bring the romance... We enjoyed some reunion time, and talked about the last 8 days, and then decided to get some sushi for dinner. While there, I got a text from my friend Todd -- Nancy Dearr died?" What??? We got the food to go, and Wifey called her friend Eileen in Atlanta -- Nancy's sister. It was true: Nancy died in her sleep, at 62. We were shocked and saddened. Just a few days ago, I was joking with Nancy on FaceBook (tm) about her praise of Jimmy Carter. Nancy is the most politically liberal person I know, and I always enjoy tweaking her about it. A few months before, she and I had a long talk about her ancient mother in law, and the best ways to deal with her. Nancy and Eileen's Dad Jim, one of my favorite people, died last year, in his 90s. We never imagined his daughter would follow so soon. Apparently Nancy died in her sleep, of, probably, an asthma attack. Her husband Ryan woke, made some coffee, and returned to bed to see if Nancy wanted some. She didn't respond. The funeral is set for Monday, which might be complicated by Tropical Storm Erica, which is apparently headed our way. Wifey is out scrambling to prepare, even though it looks to be, at most, a rain event, and our house is set up way high. After we went through devastating Andrew, and annoying Wilma and Katrina, Wifey takes these things seriously. Not me -- my only storm prep is making sure all cars have full gas tanks == so we can beat a hasty retreat if the power goes out. Nancy and Ryan always struggled financially -- by choice. They sent their son to an expensive private college and grad school. They give generously to liberal causes. After Nancy's Dad died, it seemed the money situation changed -- they went on a European extended vacation, and talked of buying a condo in NYC. This of course brings back Warren Zevon's excellent advice, given after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer: enjoy every sandwich. 62 is mighty young, though she did have the best type of death. Storm allowing, we'll go celebrate her life on Monday, I'm sure. And this am, when I returned to bed after waking, Wifey popped open her eyes and said "Still here." I'm glad.

No comments: