Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Block Party

Ah, I become my beloved father more each year...When I was a boy, I asked why he never joined any social groups, or even took part in weekly card games, like some of my friends' fathers did. He'd reply, simply, "Well, I'm not a joiner." He was shaped by his experiences during WW II. He was compelled to join the army,and served without question, as many of his generation did, but he was never happy about it. He developed a healthy distrust of groups, and of being told what to do and when, so that in his free time, he avoided those entanglements religiously. Religion, too, by the way. Although he was a proud Jew, and Zionist, he never joined a Temple. The first time some member of the brotherhood would have directed him to do something stupid, he'd have been out the door. Well, I was and have been more of a joiner. I served on several committees at UM, and got involved for awhile in our synagogue. I'm more social than my father, and got enjoyment from my many groups. When we moved to our current home, nearly 15 years ago, I became the welcome chair, since the job was simply to greet new neighbors with a bottle of wine and the local directory. Our voluntary association is supposed to have a yearly party. Wifey and I hosted one when we moved in -- we sprang for the booze and appetizers. It was a nice party, but other than our friend Diane, who hosted two times, no other neighbors would have the party. So it was switched to an outdoor block party, and somehow the last one took place 4 years ago. This year, Wifey, the crime watch chair reached out to the Pinecrest Police about their program. It's funny -- Pinecrest has very low crime, and our 'hood, with an off duty FHP trooper, has less still. But I guess one can never be too careful... Anyway, the public service officer told Wifey that our rich Village pays for food and sodas for neighborhood groups that host crime watch meetings -- and they prefer block parties. So Wifey put into motion this year's party, and it took place today. Over 80 people responded they'd come, but since people typically suck, only about 60 did, and the light rain drove many away early. Still, the sergeant got to give his talk, which was essentially "Call us about any minority people in the hood NOT holding leaf blowers..." He didn't say it that way, of course, it was "Call at once if anyone who DOESN'T BELONG is there," but the meaning was the same. And our nice array of neighbors was in attendance -- from a young wife who was dressed provocatively, to Bobbe, the 94 year old original resident. Bobbe's neighbor Betty was there, looking sad. She was selling her house, where she's lived since the 50s. She's moving to Delray Beach, to a luxury ALF on AIA. I congratulated her, but she was sad. "David -- the OLD people live in Palm Beach County!" She's 86. All in all it was a lovely event. Kids bounced in the bounce house, and our friend Lili painted a few faces before the rain came. No one took seriously my idea of the last hour being "Adult Bounce." The house remained safe for the kids. I came home and napped, and awoke to the happy text that D2 had made it safely back to UF for her final grad school weeks. She's due to graduate May 1. And I emailed our neighbor Ann, a very active realtor. She lists many of the houses in our area, and I offered to let HER become the welcome chair. She has accepted. I am withdrawing my group memberships, one at a time. I am becoming more and more like my father, and I like it...

No comments: