Tuesday, March 17, 2015

And A Fine St. Paddy's Day...

I grew up on mythical Isle of Long, and my friends were either Jewish or Catholic. In fact, as kids that's what we asked of each other. I recall one friend, Lee Ann, telling the class she was "Episcopalian," and we all giggled because of the part of the name that had "piss" in it. Other than Lee Ann, I think most of my friends were one of the NY Ethnic Two. Also, their ancestral homelands were either Ireland, Italy, or Eastern Europe for the Jews. The only Hispanic kid was named Ralph Ramirez, short for Rafael, and he was Puerto Rican and a foster child of a Jewish family. And so on Long Island, St. Patrick's Day was a big deal. You wore green to school, and if you happened to wear orange, teachers like Miss Dempsey and Mrs. Raynor said you were pro British and insulting. I stuck to green. (Years later, D2 came home from First grade, smiling and laughing that her teacher Mrs. Cochran had pinched her on St. Patrick's Day for not wearing green. But D2 couldn't stop laughing -- she said the pinch "really" came from a lebrechaun... Years ago, business called me to NYC in March, and I stayed at the Plaze Hotel on 5th Avenue. I watched the famous parade go by -- thousands of NY cops and firemen -- and more bagpipes than I ever hope to hear again. Bagpipes are an instrument that, to me, sounds great for about 15 minutes, after which it's as pleasant as nails on a blackboard. I was done with my depositions early, and I took part in that great celebration -- the parade participants all filed into bars off 5th Avenue, and drank heartily. I met a group of LI firemen, and when I told them I moved to Miami, was asked how it was living with "all dem Puerto Ricans you got down dere." I replied that Miami's Hispanics were mostly Cuban. "Same difference!" was the reply. Locally, I prefer JohnMartin's Pub on the Day -- they block off the street in front and put on quite a party. This year I emailed my friends Pat and Vince -- both fully Irish -- and told them I wished to celebrate St. Paddy's Day with 2 actual Irish guys. Both were Catholic school raised -- in Pittsburgh and LA -- and fit the bill. We plan on going to Mary Brickell Village, a place we visited last year, where the pub Fado hosts a grand time as well. And, as the true Irish guys they are, they very much appreciate the young Latinas who also love to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, and as a "guest" of their holiday I think it my duty to watch along with them. And so may it be a fine St. Patrick's Day to all. Somehow, to me, Purim as a celebratory holiday, doesn't quite cut it, although a poppy seed hamantaschen is ok...

No comments: