Saturday, October 18, 2014

Should We Talk About the Weather?

So Wifey came home yesterday, after 2 weeks at back camp, and it was a lovely reunion. I fetched her at MIA, and she was happy to be back. The strange rescue dog greeted her excitedly, too. We took an evening walk in the gorgeous Fall Miami weather, which has turned blissfully cooler. Our welcome home dinner was at Canton, the place we frequented when we first dated, 31 years ago. Since I'm eschewing carbs for awhile, we had their "Special Steak," which comes to the table sizzling. We talked about how much her father in law loved that dish. Canton was out go to place for years, since it's so loud and therefore compatible with my mother in law's not exactly whispering speaking voice. Anyway, Wifey is here to stay, as is the nice weather, we hope. When I was younger, I never cared so much about the climate. I preferred hot to cold, for the simple reason that too hot is uncomfortable, while too cold is painful. My mother hated winters, which is why, when she was 59, she made the decision that my father would retire and move to Florida. My Mom was never the one to drive family decisions, but she was the reason for that major move. Wifey can't stand the cold, but the last few years is bothered by Miami's summer heat. I wasn't until this year. I guess cruising into my mid 50s has done the trick. So we talked about next summer, maybe renting a place in Asheville, which we both love. I don't want to buy anything -- as I age, I want to own less (except dividend paying stocks and high quality tax free municipal bonds), but renting a place for a month or two might be ok. D2 is set to graduate with her MS in May, and D1 is enjoying an awesome life, with an interesting though underpaying job, great friends, and more charitable work than any 25 year old I know. So maybe it's time for Wifey and I to keep the nice weather around us, even when things get too hot around here. We'll see.

No comments: