Thursday, October 9, 2014

Point of View

So I was tooling up Bayshore Drive this am, blasting "Do You Know What I Mean" on the satellite radio in Wifey's Lexus suv, which I'm enjoying driving while she's in Orlando, and I came to the red light at the entrance of Grove Isle. Grove Isle was THE luxury development in the 80s -- three buildings built on an island a short bridge ride away from Coconut Grove. I've always loved visiting there, and plenty of Miami machers still live there. The speed limit on the bridge is 19 miles per hour, and the legend is the developer, then in his 50s, so designated it that because of his 19 year old mistress. Anyway, the car that pulled in front of me was a sleek, Mercedes convertible. The fellow driving looked so well groomed and relaxed -- wearing a gold watch and designer sunglasses. Wow, I thought, how nice; a fellow in his mid 60s, living in a great place and all right with his world. And then I recognized him: a disbarred lawyer who I'll call Al, since that's his name. Al is an old friend of my partner Paul, and had a very succesful practice. Unfortunately, he had a gambling addiction, which he fed with clients' trust fund money, and somehow the bar and local judge who heard his case weren't too understanding. They took away his ticket, as we say in the trade. Al went to work for his former associate. He has, as expected, continuing money troubles, but when you meet him you'd never know. He has no assets except the lone apartment he was able to keep, and somehow finagled the Benz people into leasing him his car despite horrific credit. And there he was, this sunny morning, commuting to work -- looking like the world was his oyster. Many of my friends have plenty of money, and prestige in the community, and we all stress. How much is enough? How will we live in retirement? Can we send grandkids to college? What if? What if? And then there's Al, broke ass, as the rappers sing, and yet looking so dapper, tanned, and happy. My partner and I have lunch with him, and it's always enjoyable. He still has tales of adventures that old married guys like me savor. Despite his many trials in life, he's smiling. A man happy with his lot, which, as the Good Book teaches, is the real definition of wealth. So rock on, Al. This morning, at least, you looked mighty cool leaving your presitigous island, in that fine ride. It really made my day.

No comments: