Sunday, October 12, 2014

Fleet Manager

So now that the Ds are all grown up and own their own vehicles, with their own insurance policies, my old duties as fleet manager are much simpler. Ha. As if. It is the job of the Dad of even grown daugters, apparently, to maintain their cars. Last Wednesday, D1 drove her '09 to the body shop, to leave it for a repair from a fellow parker at JMH who decided to dent her door and scrape the paint. Of course, a note was left, in broken English, saying the guy was sorry, and offering to pay. Unfortunately, the note was then handed to the Easter Bunny, who failed to deliver it to us, as both are figments of my imagination... I gave D1 my man sized Buick to drive while her car was being fixed, and I drove Wifey's SUV, since she's in Orlando also getting fixed, hopefully. On Friday I fetched the car, took it for an oil change and tire rotation, and then left it for D1 to pick up at the house on Saturday, while I was at the Canes game. I'll service D2's car over Thanksgiving break. And Wifey's 10 month old SUV also has a nice bumper smash -- which she claims was done by an anonymous fellow parker in Kendall. Since Wifey has damaged no fewer than 10 of our cars, and our friend Maureen's, too, I have my doubts about the genesis of her vehicle's damage. Nonetheless, I will take it for repair this week, as well. My Ds and Wifey are not unique. I have a friend, nearly 50, who founded and owns a multimillion dollar business. She's an only child, and her father still takes her car for repairs, too. Her husband is happy to abdicate this responsibility to his father in law. I never had that option... A lawyer I'll call Michelle, since that's her name, is 43, married, and mother of two. She told me the other day that HER father, still a practicing doctor, takes care of her car repairs, as well. And, just last year, she took herself off of her parents' AAA acccount, and got her own, with her husband. So this is the lot of some dads and husbands... As one of my heros, Sidney Poitier said, the measure of a man is how he takes care of his family. I've long since done that. At this point, I guess giving concierge service is in the cards, too.

No comments: