Saturday, August 9, 2014

Cousins Cousins

I have little contact with my cousins these days. I guess we're busy in our lives, and live far apart. Nah. That's not true -- most of the cousins on my Mom's side live here in Florida, and the truth is people who say they're busy just choose to do other things. Even when I was at my busiest -- being a Dad to little Ds, starting and running a law firm, tending to aging parents and in laws, I always made time for stuff I wanted to do -- like being with friends and going to Canes games. Anyway, my cousin Eddie called my office a few weeks ago and got a lunch appointment with me. I was going to cancel, as last time he came to my office he merely used it as an excuse to solicit business for his office supply sales job, which led to some minor embarrasment, but I went ahead with the meeting. His mother Florence died some months ago, and she was the last of my Mom's siblings. Eddie looked great. He's 65, and could pass for 50. We went to Deli Lane, near my office, and he told me all about his life. Basically, he sold office copiers in Maryland, Texas, and Florida. He started his own company, and it grew to nearly $ 1 million in annual sales. He even showed me a picture of him taking his staff of 12 to Bern's in Tampa. But, alas, on account of the economy, as Bruce sings, he lost the business and had to go back to work for a former competitor. He told me about his kids, and his wife, and his 3 sisters, one of whom lives close by but is a gambling addict. What are ya gonna do? I noticed he never once asked questions about my career, life, or kids, other than to "send his love to the family." Whatever. While we were at lunch, my cousin Jeff called him. Eddie, Jeff, and Barry were all close growing up, as they were just a few years apart in age (I was the baby of the cousin group) and have stayed in touch. Eddie suggested we "re establish the cousins' circle," but Jeff immediately said if his younger sister was invited, he wouldn't come. The two had a falling out after their Dad died, and remain estranged. I predict they'll remain estranged until death. But I dig Jeff, and would happily get together, But somehow, it was "Let's do this" without anyone actually agreeing to set it up. I know I won't. I like them, but the sad truth is I don't care enough to be the one who makes the plans. Wifey pointed out to me years ago, she never says "We should meet for lunch..." Either she doesn't make the hollow promise, or she says "Let's meet next Tuesday." I wish Ed well. It can't be much fun to be broke at 65, and having to start over again, earning enough to hopefully retire by 80. That will probably be it for me in the cousin department for awhile. The oldest of our first cousins, Arlene, died at 70 something. I'm the youngest, at 53. Eddie pointed out that there are only 5 men out of 19 first cousins...now 18. Modern America -- the extended family is meaningless.

No comments: