Monday, December 30, 2013

Staycation All I Ever Wanted

Last Winter, D2 and I went to NYC for a few days, and had a blast. We saw "Book of Mormon," had Chinese on Xmas eve in Midtown, and visited museums and stores. But the weather was AWFUL, as expected there in December. This year was total staycation, and it's been fine. Wifey and I saw 2 movies, and we had a great Wifey birthday dinner Christmas night at Tropical. Our friends Mark and Sheryl came to stay, and we've been enjoying their company. Today we had a great LOL breakfast, before I headed to the office for a few hours. Last Saturday, while D1 was down at Ocean Reef playing tourist, D2 announced she had never been to Mimai's most famous restaurant -- Joe's Stone Crab, and could we go? Of course we could, so Wifey, D2, and I headed across the causeway to Miami Beach. We parked and went in, expecting a typical no wait for lunch tables, and instead found the place PACKED. There must have been 100 folks waiting for a table -- it looked like the typical dinner wait. I suggested we just go to the takeaway section, and eat our claws outside, but D2 wanted to at least see how long the wait was. I bellied my way to the front, and the host asked me for my name. "Shula," I answered, invoking the legendary coach --"party of three." The host said "Now THAT'S a famous name," and without missing a beat replied "Oh -- he's my uncle." Next I knew, he led me to a waiting area, called over Wifey and D2, and seated us immediately, near a window. D2 was impressed , telling me that was a total gangsta move. We are happily, and I figured out what happened. The host, who knows EVERYONE in Miami, probably realized I wasn't the nephew of the great one, but if I WAS, and he didn't give me preferred treatment, it might get back to The Don. On the way out, I gave him the signature tip in the handshake, and we were all happy... The day before the Joe's victory, I did another rare thing -- I allowed myself to be the subject of a clothes intervention by my ladies. I tend to not dress well, and it started to really bother my Wifey and Ds. So we went off to Nordstron, where they were having a big men's sale, and met Stacey -- the Ds' former camp counselor, now an assistant manager at the store. She acted as my personal shopper -- bringing me pants and shirts, and I ended up buying some non embarrasing jeans and slacks, and shorts, and shirts. We celebrated at Yardhouse, and then Wifey left for an accupuncture appointment. The Ds and I went into a Cole Haan store, where they too had a big sale, and I learned my favorite everyday shoes were no longer being made, as Nike and Cole Haan went their separate ways. So I bought 2 pairs of my signature loafers, and began to worry what I would do in a few years after they wear out. Tomorrow night is New Year's Eve, and Wifey and I are meeting Sheryl and MArk and another 10 couples for Captain's Tavern dinner, followed by a house party over in Galloway Glenn. A piano playing cardiologist will entertain. Yes -- it's pretty cool staying in the 305 this time of year...

No comments: