Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Lazing into 2014

So today is Wifey's Birthday Eve, a holiday Hispanics celebrate by roasting pigs and exchanging gifts. Alas, we shall not -- maybe dinner with the Ds if we can overcome our laziness. I really, truly planned to go into the office today. I worked out with my trainer, and then was going to come home, change, and head in. Alas, my dear pal Vince texted -- could we meet for lunch, as no boob or butt jobs were scheduled for today. We could, I said, and so met for sushi. When I arrived at the restuarant, I had a really bad senior moment. The lady at the next table, eating with her 2 boys, greeted me and asked after both Ds and Wifey. She looked familiar, sort of, but I couldn't place her. Then she asked whether I'd spoken to Larry, and how he was...I was now completely dumbfounded, but faked my way along, until a light went off: she used to work for a rehab expert we know, and her boys went to school with the Ds...Oh, what a drag it is getting old... So Vince and I caught up, and he cracked me up, as usual, with tales of being single and in the mid 50s. He met one lady online, who looked promising. He met her for dinner, and to his horror, she looked about 70. She allowed that she HAD lied -- she claimed to be "really" 59 -- but Vince doubted that as well. Back to the dating board... Tomorrow is Christmas to the Christian and Christian wannabee world, but to us, it's Wifey's birthday. D1 is working, so D2 and I will take Wifey to see "Wolf of Wall Street." We then have reservations at Tropical Chinese -- we'll meet Vince and his 2 kids (even though they celebrate X mas, by tomorrow night, they want out of the family thing), and D2's boyfriend, and my friend Kenny, whose wife took his boys out of town while he slaves away over a hot X ray machine...Dr. Barry is invited, too, if he can pull himself away from the ICU for kids for an hour or so... Saturday we plan to go watch the Canes play their bowl game at Mike's house. We thought about going to Orlando for the game, but since D2 heads back to Gville early this year, for grad school orientation, we bagged the trip. Plus, the game is in a crappy stadium in a crappy neighborhood -- Mike's creative appetizers and even more creative cocktails seem to make more sense... And then comes the final week of 2013. We'll sort of glide into the new year. D2 has plans with her friends that include a party limo and hot South Beach hotel, at a greatly discounted rate, thanks to a buddy in the entertainment business. D1 is up in the air, and we plan to reprise last year's activity: dinner with 10 other couples at Captain's Tavern, and then a house party a few miles from home. Last year, a cardiologist/pianist played show tunes, and we all sang along. It was a lovely, low impact way to ring in the new year. 2014 will be the first without my mother here. Things change, and things remain.

No comments: