Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Cleaning Out

Stuff's been on my mind a lot this year -- how useless it all is. My sister Sue is in the get rid of stuff for old and dead people, business. She runs estate sales in her California town. The take away lesson: people buy stuff, and later they, or their heirs, are lucky to get 5-10 cents on the dollar for it. Wifey and I have far too much stuff. Some of it has nostalgic value -- like photos of my Dad and Mom, and some trinkets attached to their lives -- but honestly I wouldn't be upset if it all went away. As I age I have less tolerance for clutter, and the stuff just seems to clutter our house. On our latest trip, Wifey and I bought nothing to take home. We're on the same page about stuff. We'll look at some cute thing, but then see it a year or so later in the garage, waiting to be sent to Goodwill. Wifey has a much harder time getting rid of stuff than I do. In her strange logic, she says one of the reasons she wants to move to a smaller house is that it would "force her" to de clutter, and get rid of stuff. As it is now, she just tosses it into one of our spare rooms, or garage. Still, I'm a man of action, and I plan on simplifying before the end of the year...get ready, Goodwill -- a HUGE stash is on your way.

No comments: