Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Kicking the Can Down the Road

Talk about an expression that's become overused lately --typically to describe Congress's inability to confront problems. Well --my partner has take ut up, too, but in his case it's very accurate to portray our office's handling of cases. So, in this new and invigorated year -- we're taking charge! We've decided to take on a more active role in our practice --as the Stones sang "Just like we USED to." The 2 young lawyers we've entrusted to our practice are excellent lawyers -- probably better in the courtroom than I am. But I was blessed with a keen sense of case selection, and I can offer that. And my partner is the finest negotiator I've ever met -- he brings that to the table. To if we insert our efforts again -- along with our 2 friends -- great things will come. I mentioned this to my old friend Jeff -- he left law 19 years ago to become a Jewish scholar and synagogue administrator -- and he said how boring it was to become a manager of a law firm. I told him that we were hiring strippers to be our new assistants -- and he agreed that might make it tolerable. Ha. As if. They'd have to be adept at Time Matters -- the legal software -- and how many strippers are? I often see my life in books and movies, and one that keeps returning to my head is Steve Martin in "The Jerk." His simpleton character Navin Johnson, raised by a black family, always felt out of place, and Navin searched for his "special purpose." So maybe mine is like California -- right back where I started from. The days will show. All I know it -- it's an amazing benefit to have a lot of free time. Yesterday Wifey and I visited lawyer Dan -- an old acquaintance who we hired to update our wills and trusts -- now that the Ds are both adults, and the estate tax laws seem to be stable. Dan's a great guy -- married to my old college friend Wendy -- and father to three. He's happy in his own firm, but works many, many hours, at 57. He hired a real old time lawyer from the Beach named Smith (probably an Ellis Island shortened surname from something like Smithowitz) who hangs around his office, reading the paper and doing "one closing a month." Dan let on how he' like more free time -- but with 2 kids in private universities and a third in high school likely headed that route -- the hours would have to continue for awhile. I never take my situation for granted. I savor my free time. But it's also time to get back to work, as our awful governor campaigned. And the law biz seems as good as any...

No comments: