Thursday, February 21, 2013

Back Workin' for the Yankee Dollar

Semi retirement was fine, but I've noticed something: just because I earn less money, my family keeps on spending it. It's my privilege as a cool rockin' Daddy in the USA to provide --and I have a lot to provide for! D2 is headed to Spain for 5 weeks this summer, and D1 has plenty more internship to go. Wifey seems to have trouble stopping at camera protected red lights: just got a bill for $277 the other day because of that! Oh well...yesterday I got pumped up at the office. We brought in a case, and gathered around to speak to an expert Dr. Barry found us to consult with, I did all the questioning, and the expert agreed we have a VERY strong case. So now I intend to shepherd it, along with Paul, and see that it gets done right, efficiently, and well. When Paul and I were at the height of our powers, no one moved cases faster than we did. We knew that cases, with very rare exception, get worse with time. Our current associates lack that alacrity -- but under our watch, it's coming back, and how. I called the lawyer who referred me the case, and he was thrilled, too. The client is a close friend of his, and truly wanted to help her. We shall. Meanwhile, the basketball Canes keep winning, which thrills me. The Heat do, too, but I truly don't care about them -- other than enjoying the positive energy a winning team brings to a city. For years I cared about the local pro teams, but that's waning. The pig billionaire owners are just that. So for me it's entertainment -- especially MArlins Park, which sits on the hallowed ground of the Orange Bowl. I enjoy going there, having a few drinks, and socializing -- especially with a true baseball maven, like Dr. Barry's boy, Scott. He's 16 and a student of the game. The Canes are another story. My mood rises and falls with their successes and failures. And lately, it's been riding high... So back to the office today. We have another case, where a cop was injured, and we're going after the criminal's wealthy family. It definitely beats selling suits at Jordan Marsh -- one of my college jobs over 30 years ago. But, as one of my mentors Ed reminded me when I worked for him - in many ways selling a case is the same thing...

No comments: