Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Grove

Ever since I first visited Miami, probably in 1970, my favorite part is Coconut Grove. It's one of the oldest parts of the city, with a long and colorful bohemian history. In college, it was where my friends and I hung out. We'd go to Bananas, a bar attached to the old Grove Playhouse, and get $1 frozen margaritas. They we'd make our way to Monty Trainor's place, on the water, to listen to reggae bands. My friend Vince and I used to love to sing along with a great tune about "shame and scandal in the family," where a mother told her young daughter that her "papa's not your papa but your papa don't know." Over the years, the Grove has changed, with a lot of commercialization. They put in a place called Cocowalk, which takes away the charm (but has great movie theatres). Still, I love the place, and Friday night I met Wifey and our friend Diane there at a place called Calamaris. I found the two ladies at the bar, talking to some 60 something fellows -- one a tax lawyer and another a political writer. The tax lawyer, Dan, came to Miami from Tennessee in 1975, and has lived in the Grove ever since. His mentor, a tax lawyer named Marty, happens to be best friends with my old boss Ed, so we had much to talk about. The polital writer is also named Dan, and I recognized him from another mutual hangout -- the bar at Capital Grille. The Dans left, and Wifey and Diane and I took a table. One of Diane's former US Prosecutor friends was there with his wife, and Wifey and I knew the couple from D1's Hebrew School days. The wife is the daughter of a defrocked Miami Judge, a fellow caught up in the infamous Courtbroom scandal from the 80s. We ate terrific Italian food, and laughed and talked about our kids and lives. I just love the Grove vibe, as much as I did when I first visited 40 years past. D2 made it safely to Gainesville, and D1 is home from England. She brought me a cap from Eton College. We sat at the table this am and she told us about her trip. She's napping now, and headed to the Marlins game tonight with boyfriend Joel. I'm headed out to dinner with some old friends, but not to the Grove. We're going to my second favorite 'hood --the Gables, again for some Italian food. Things could be worse...

No comments: