Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ha! Missed Us!

There are 2 negatives to living in Miami: the traffic, and hurricane season. Hurricane season, with a capital H, is one of the greatest things: 5 national championships (should have been 6), but the non football type is awful. Isaac formed, and floated around for a few days. The media jumped in -- knowing full well that when storms approach, people tune in. The anxiety level rose, as it always does, and try as I might to avoid it, I got sucked in. I ended up closing 2 sets of shutters -- the ones I need to get on a ladder to operate, and in doing so I walked through a noxious vine, causing welts on my shins. So I ended up a storm casualty after all... Saturday, when we were all urged to stay off the roads, Wifey and I went to visit ancient Mom. It was raining and blowing, but we made it to the nursing home just fine, and even took Mom outside to see some downed leaves and branches. We tried to reminisce with her about Andrew -- how she survived it with us, huddled in my Mitsubishi Diamante in the garage with babies and 2 petrified dogs, but her memory melded the storm with the week 10 years before when my Dad died... On the way home, Wifey and I detoured, and stopped in to a restaurant I hadn't been to in nearly 20 years -- Tien Kue -- get it? -- on Coral Way. Tien Kue was the go to Chinese place my old boss Ed took us to, and it's been there for days. We went in, and learned it was now an all you can eat Chinese and sushi buffet. We should have walked out -- knowing that sushi can't be properly sold at $9.95 for unlimited portions, but we saw 2 large tables packed with Asian diners, and some other tables packed with college students. We stayed, the food was poor, and later than night both Wifey and I had gastric issues. So we suffered the SECOND storm related casualty... Well, Isaac passed, grew into a weak hurricane, and hit the poor bastards in Lousiana again. I opened the shutters and put back the furniture I took in from our second floor balcony. The GOOD Hurricane season starts in 3 days -- Canes at Boston College! The expectations are low, with a very young team, but the beer in my game room fridge is cold and waiting to be poured. Hopefully the other type of hurricanes will stay the hell away.

No comments: