Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Woman of Valor

Wifey and I attended my friend Norman's mother's funeral yesterday. On the way in, we ran into Julie -- Norman's ex wife. We ended up sitting with her in the last row, along with another former law school classmate, Jeff, and my dear friend and office roomie Stuart. We were amazed at the turnout. I estimated nearly 300 people in the room. The only lady's funeral I ever attended with more folks was a Circuit Court judge, and many attendees at that service HAD to be there, as attorneys and court personel worried about appearances. Norman's mother Barbara's mourners were there out of pure love. 2 rabbis spoke -- the current young fellow, who I think is from Brazil, and the retired older fellow who came to the synagogue in the 80s, as it was facing extinction. A group broke off and moved to a new building in Pinecrest, where many of the congregants were. They wanted to sell the old building, but Norman's parents Max and Barbara spearheded the restoration instead. The Rabbi made it VERY clear that the once again bustling congregation would have died without Norman's family. Norman's brother Richard spoke, and told great tales of his mother coping with a mischievous son. Norman spoke, too, for a good long while, and had us all laughing and crying. I was so proud of my friend, who is one of the top trial lawyers in the state. He honored his mother so beautifully. Poor Julie was completely broken up. At times, Jeff and I literally held her up. I guess when you divorce someone from so great a family, a host of feelings swirl around, especially when a beloved former mother in law passes. After the service, I sought out Barry. I saw him as the services were beginning, but the place was so packed we couldn't sit together. He had never met Barbara, but was amazed at what a woman she was. He felt he knew her well, listening to the beautiful words. As Barbara died, her husband Max sang their song to her -- the great Irving Berlin tune "Always." That song always brings to mind one of the signature movies of my youth --"Pride of the Yankees." It's a song that's so lovely and sad at the same time --like life itself. The cantor sang the song, in her amazing voice. It there was a dry eye among the assembled, I didn't see it. Wifey and I went to the cemetary, and hugged Norman at the gravesite. We ran into Donna -- D2's pre school teacher. We saw Jeri, Donna's old teaching partner, last week, at another funeral event -- a shiva for Genia, one of my in laws' friends. It was a strange coincidence. Since we were already in North Dade, we drove to Aventura, where my partner Paul's daughter Tracy was visiting with her toddler Lili. We hadn't seen Lili since she was 2 months old. She's a strikingly beautiful little girl -- with piercing blue eyes. We watched her play, and I was warmed seeing Paul's joy with his little grandaughter. Older folks die, and babies come along. It just seems that it happens so much more rapidly as I age...

No comments: