Thursday, April 5, 2012

Take Me Near to the Ballgame

Mike asked me to assist in putting together a consortium of fine gentlemen to buy season's tickets to the Marlins. I agreed, and the thought was Mike and I would each take 2 of the coveted opening game -- in Marlins Park. An ESPN announcer called the place the product of a cruise ship and space ship having a baby...and it really IS the coolest stadium in sports.

Well, we divvied them up, and then I realized that I would be in Paris for the opener, which was last night. Ha. As if! Wifey's back reared its head, and no trip was to be. But, in the mean time, I had promised my tickets to Dr. Barry and his boy Scott. I was happy about that anyway, as Scott lives and breathes the Marlins.

So, I figured I'd go to the game and scalp a ticket. Truth was, I only wanted to be part of the atmosphere -- the game, especially sitting by myself, held little draw.

Yesterday afternoon Stuart, Brian, and I poured a few adult beverages in the office, and then I set out for the stadium --People Mover to Metrorail. I got off the train near Jackson Hospital, and got on the trolley. I figured I'd meet Barry, Mike, Eric, and their sons.

Eric lucked out. He hadn't planned to attend, but then a nurse asked him to see a friend as a favor, last minute. The friend turned out to be a major league umpire, who was working the game. To thank Eric, he left 2 tickets for him at Will Call, so Eric and Josh trooped down from Boca.

I sat in the back of the trolley, next to an ENORMOUS woman. Funnier, her husband weighed about 100 lbs. Why are huge women paired with skinny men so hilarious? It helped that the fellow looked like Stan Laurel in a Marlins jersey.

Barry and I texted back and forth about this, as Barry waited for Scott to arrive by bus from Miramar. We did our best "Arthur" routine: "Did I mention she was obese?"

When the trolley arrived, and I peeled myself out of the space the enormous woman left, I got off and met ERic and Josh. We joined up with Mike and Chris, and Barry and Scott.

Ah --3 of my best buds and their sons. I was truly warmed by that, and realized that's what I had come to see.

At the original Marlins opener, Mike and I went with my brother in law Dennis and Ed, Mike's father. Ed is long gone. Seeing his look alike grandson Chris with Mike made me a little misty eyed...

I made some inquiries about tickets, but no one was selling for less than $150. A Latin fellow asked me if I had extras -- he saw me holding up a finger, in the universal stadium language of either "got tix" or "need 'em." Turns out HE had given HIS tickets to his nephew, and was about to bag it and head home.

I did the same. From the MEtrorail, I watched the Air Force jets fly in formation from the Bay to the stadium, in the setting sun. It was glorious.

Wifey had picked up Shorty's barbecue for me. As D1 remarked, "a woman of valor..."

I ate and watched the game. I have seats for 10 more, so I'll get there plenty.

For last night, seeing my friends and their sons together -- well -- that made it the best for me.

No comments: