Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Fuhrer was Quite the Dancer

Lately I've been staying in more and more. Wifey never feels up to leaving the house for anything other than back related trips, and I've stayed home, too. My old friends Jeannie and Dave had a fundraiser last night, for a local theatre where they're patrons. I turned down the invite, but then Paul prevailed upon me to go -- he and his lovely lady would be there, along with his boy Alex and his wife Danielle. So I fired up the old Hyundai, changed out of my weekend shorts, and headed for the Gables. Dave is an old college friend, who couldn't get into UM Law and had to settle for Harvard. Afterwards, he clerked for a Miami Federal Judge, but then returned to his native Chicago. He truly missed Canes games, and moved back here with his Thai born wife. They bought a historic Gables house, and started a life. Alas, the bloom came off the cherry tree, and Dave called me for a divorce law referral. I sent him to Jeannie, my partner Paul's short time (10 months) ex wife. They hit it off, and after trying each other's cases, tried each other. They had twins, and now live a fine life together, with a lot of charity work, and dual careers, etc. They threw a fine party last night. I ran into some old friends, and made some new ones. My biggest laugh came when a lady approached me, saying I looked familiar. She looked familiar to me, too, but then again the Ds always say EVERYONE looks like someone I know, and it turns out I truly do know them about 20% of the time. This lady was late 60s, and had the look of a wealthy widow or divorcee. She turned out to be a major patron of the theatre. She said we had met at one of my dance performances. I doubled over laughing. My dancing is as good as my drawing, and I draw like someone who has suffered a major head injury. No, I begged off, unless she saw me 5-6 times drunker than the legal limit at the Gelman Bar Mitzvah, where I danced, a LOT, I wasn't her man... Still, it was a great night. Woody Allen wrote that 80% of success in life is just showing up. I need to show up more, and I plan to. As I drove home half past midnight, I phoned Paul and left him a message, thanking him for lighting a fire under me and getting me to go out. Next party, I might even try the tango...

No comments: