Sunday, April 22, 2012

Socialites

I just finished reading today's Herald, and saw 2 friends in the social pages. My friend Joel's wife was pictured at a fundraiser for her kids' private school, and my old friend Allison is in another shot for HER kids' school.

Both ladies look lovely. Allison's mother grew up in the country club set in Connecticut, and Allison always wanted to be a part of that, too. Through her and her husband's success, it's happened, and I love to see it. She's also on TV many mornings as the Chair of the local Humane Society -- she LOVES dogs, and works tirelessly to get them adopted.

Courtney, Joel's wife, grew up more working class on Long Island, but after law and art degrees, also ascended to social status. She's well known in local art circles, and raised money for her kids' school, a very prestigious one in the Grove where local non Jewish sons and daughters of the city's movers and shakers attend.

I LOVE making fun of Joel about this. I adore him, and he's probably the most succesful young criminal defense lawyer in town, but prides himself, as I do, on staying grounded. Whenever he parks his navy blue Porsche 911 near my Hyundai, I always write "Douchemobile" on one of my cards and leave it tucked behind his wiper blade, so he knows I was there.

I just finished texting Joel about how he clearly married above himself...

Wifey's not one to get so involved. She finds the thought of having to dress up and attend social functions more stressful than anything else. The Ds call her the queen of the tracksuit, and so it is.

I've joined some clubs and organizations over the years, but I'm not too confortable there either. I still sit on a UM committee, since I love the place so, but I find I miss the meetings, which are only biennial, pretty often.

My father was "never a joiner" and so avoided all sorts of clubs and groups. I am more and more like him as I age...

D1 and D2 seem to enjoy the society scene more and more. Much of it comes from their sorority, I guess. D1 joined the junior league, and enjoys its events and socials. She'll make many contacts there which will help her in her career, I'm sure.

So I'm proud and happy for my friends. It's nice to see friends in the paper for good things, as opposed to criminal prosecutions, for example.

My social groups will continue to involve heavy drinking, and sports. We don't make the papers...fortunately.

No comments: