Saturday, October 1, 2011

Young Peoples' Game

As the Ds' favorite "Avenue Q" song goes: "Everyone's a little bit racist - sometimes." I try not to be, like all thoughtful adults, and try ro avoid all of the "ists."

I'm probably less homophobic than most people. I've always taken a realistic approach to gays, especially men --less competition for me! And I truly always root for the underdog. Hey --I even have friends who are Republicans, to show my tolerance for the distasteful among us...

But lately I've had a major problem with ageism. I really, really, have a problem with the old.

If I do some pop psychological self analysis, I realize of course, it stems from my mother and in laws. As I watch them decline and be a burden to themselves and others, I fear ending up that way. I ADORE my Ds, and the thought of needing them to care for me, instead of my caring for them, is simply unacceptable, or "not KEPtable," as D2 used to say.

When I drive to my ancient mother's condo, and surrounding town of West Delray, all I see is a bunch of grumpy, demanding ancients, who consume so much of our resources, and produce little if anything of value.

Some see sweet, old grandparents. I see adult children, somewhere, worried and concerned about caring for these people.

And then Thursday night, at Rosh Hashanah dinner, I had another epiphany: even I am of decreasing value to the world! We sat with a group of wildy succesful 20 something enterpreneurs. I listened carefully.

Their skill sets and thinking amazed me. They were making fun of guys like Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos!

I though about my quaint little law practice, with our red scheduling book, and paper files...I invisioned cavemen chipping away at rock...

I've always been an old soul, I guess. Although I'm 50, I grew up with much older parents and siblings. Both of my sisters get Social Security, and my mother is nearing 92!

While the young masters of the universe were talking about their business, they were rocking and coddling 2 babies -- 2 and 6 months. Having children is ALSO a young person's game, in my opinion.

I have friends who started late in the game, and I truly don't see how they do it. My friend Stuart is going to teacher meetings for his 6 and 8 year olds now. A divorce lawyer I know who is in her mid 50s has a pair of first graders! They have nannies, of course, but still --the thought of running after kids now is daunting to me.

I've been blessed to do more than what I had hoped in my 50 years. In many ways, I've been there, done that, and bought the T shirt. In fact, my Ds and Wifey love to point out that my average T shirt is more than 10 years old...

I will gladly accept the blessing of many more years, of course. But thoughts of changing the world?

I think that's best for the young...

No comments: