Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Best Season

Finally, some of the oppressive heat has gone, and we are in the first of the 2 best seasons in Miami. The second is winter to early Spring.

Assuming we get past this final hurricane, Rina, causing mischief in the Yucatan area, we'll be all clear, weatherwise.

D1 came by my office yesterday, to tell me she got a new part time job, offering samples of some new high end brandy at stores and hotels and restaurants. It pays $25 per hour, and gets her away from the extremely high end restaurant where she was a hostess --a job that, due to dictatorial managers and absurdly spoiled clientele, had grown stale for her.

D2 is in her sophomore year's high season. She's headed to Jacksonville this weekend with some friends for the annual Florida-Georgia game. They're not going to the actual game, but want to be part of what's called the world's biggest cocktail party. I'll be a happy Dad when I know she's safely back at UF Sunday night...

D1 then heads up to visit her sister for the UF homecoming called Gator Growl, which has become the best event of its kind in the US. The following weekend, Wifey and I and some friends head to Gainesville. We'll drop off Wifey for D2's mother/daughter sorority weekend, and then drive to FSU to watch the Canes play our old rivals.

Ah, Fall...

Thanksgiving is right around the corner...For the 4th straight year, we're heading to brunch at a local hotel. My sister hosted the family for many years, but these days visits her daughter and grandkids in Tampa, so we've become hotel brunch fans.

D1's boyfriend's family is coming in from Indiana, so we'll have a large group feasting and celebrating --should be 9 or 10 of us, I think...

My friend Steve the crazy cop was officially divorced yesterday. He came by my office for some moral support, and lunch. We chatted at a table with my friend Joel the crazy lawyer --the two of them get a huge kick out of each other.

We made plans to all attend this Thursday's Canes game together --and we're going in style --Steve is chauffering us in his patrol car. Talk about a magical, mystery tour --ah, when grown men have the toys they wished they had when they were teens...

So I'm about to go wake Wifey, and take a walk through the 'hood, before I leave for Ancient Mom's house and my bi-weekly visit. She's been confusing the days of the week lately. Ah, the lovliness of human decay...

Still, the cooler weather perks us all up. Maybe I'll take Mom to the shore, and push her in a wheelchair so we can talk to our long gone Dad/ husband.

Seasons change.

No comments: