Monday, August 8, 2011

Inertia

I haven't studied Physics since 1981, but I remember well one of Newton's Laws, and it applies to my ancient mother: a 91 year old great grandmother at rest tends to remain at rest, despite the vigorous attempts to move her by her family...

So much for our romantic idea of shipping Mom to California for some of her "golden days." She absolutely won't hear of it. My best response comes from one of my TV character heroes, Tony Soprano: "What are ya gonna do?"

So she'll stay, close to a shut in, at her Delray condo. I called her Saturday, and the line was busy, and remainded that way most of the day. Beofre, I'd spring into action: call the phone company to see if conversation was happening, then my sister to ascertain last known contact, and probably a long drive to check her out.

Instead, I remained sanguine. Sure enough, in the evening, she picked up. I told her we'd visit on our way back from Gainesville. She then asked her usual inane questions and, not hearing, chuckled at her own answers.

I've definitely started seeing those who wish me a very long life as malevolent.

In happier news, we had a smashing weekend with the Ds...We had dinner in the Grove with D1, her boyfriend, and old college roommate Lauren. Wifey and Lauren grew close when Wifey moved to Gainesville to help D1 navigate after a car wreck, and it's always a treat to see Lauren.

She's getting a Masters in Occupational Therapy at Temple in Philly, and hopes to return to Florida when she's done. Lauren had one of the toughest childhoods of any of the Ds' friends, and she's soared despite it, with a sharp sense of humor and amazing attitude. She told us how great it was to spend time with a "normal family." We laughed, as if there is such a thing...

Then Saturday D2's fine gentleman caller, Josh, drove down from Weston, and the 6 of us went to my favorite place, Christy's, for a Miami Spice dinner. The Miami Spice program was started by local restaurants about 5 years ago, to gin up business in the slowest month of August. There are great deals, and we all feasted on steak, lamb, and fish (Wifey) at discount prices.

If there's something better than having your daughters spend time with quality young men, I don't know what it is, and the Ds' guys are both winners.

The Ds have keenly observed how miserable one's life can be with the wrong guy, and are making, as Wifey likes to preach, "good choices."

D1's guy, Joel, was offered a continued job at my good friend Norman's firm, and he's justly proud and excited. He's starting his second year at UM Law, and doesn't love the course work, just as I didn't. Josh is, like D2, enjoying the hell out of his UF experience, and has many friends in his fraternity.

Both young fellows are respectful, and charming, and bright, and fun. Wifey and I approve, heartily. If the Ds hear this, they'll cap it off by making fun of my Simpsons-like laugh: "Fine young men, ho ho ho..."

Today, Wifey is going to visit HER folks, with D2. I'm heading to the office to move some papers from one pile to another. This is what lawyers do...

Tomorrow, we leave early for Gainesville. We'll have some serious schlepping to do: D2 left a bunch of stuff in storage, and we have to fetch it and bring it to the sorority house (by we I mean I).

Then, I'll be doing a bunch of stair trips, to the 2nd floor, just as I did in August of '07, when D1 moved in to the same house. Wifey wasn't along on that trip, on account of a bad back, but will be there this time.

Wednesday we'll take D2 to breakfast, and head back home, with a stop along the way to see ancient Mom. No more nudges there...

No comments: