Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Techno Dinosaur

So Sunday night was the biggest party my dear friend Dr. Barry ever threw: the Bar Mitzvot (that's fancy Hebrew plural) for his boys. He had about 150 people at his temple, following the services they had on Saturday.

The drinks flowed, and they were pouring my favorite vodka --Ketel One. Dr. Eric was there, with Dana, as well as my partner Paul and his lovely girlfriend. I knew Wifey would be driving home, and so I drank, and drank, and drank.

I think Eric and I each had about 10 or 12 vodkas. We were feeling no pain. We all danced, and our attempts to follow the DJ's instructions (particularly Eric, who takes directions seriously) actually caused Wifey to pee in her pants with laughter (and some pee, too).

We toasted many, many times. Barry's boys were the last of our 6 combined kids to become adults, in the Jewish tradition. The evening was extremely joyful.

As much as we drank, no one said anything offensive, or disrobed, or acted in an untoward manner. No --just a bunch of very old and dear friends holding each other up, singing along to "Thunder Road" (only Barry's buddy from LI, another pediatrician and I knew the lyrics), and doing the worm on the floor --a continuation of a tradition from our college days at UM together.

So why, tonight, did I come away from my computer in a total state of annoyance?

Because I forgot something so obvious and relevant -- I live in the age of Facebook!

Duh! There have already been a host of videos and photos from the party, many showing Eric and I quite wasted. One video showed Eric, Barry, and I holding each other as we danced to Sinatra's "Summer WInd."

It's strange and naive of me, I know, but I feel violated. I feel my showing of intimate behavior with my dear friends is somehow reality television now --to be viewed by tons of folks I don't know and will never meet, since it's funny, I guess, to see middle aged guys drunk.

Wifey's surprised at my reaction. She and D1 thought my friends and I were "sweet and hilarious." I don't know --I guess I should have realized that all events these days become video and photographic dramas and comedies, to be sent over FaceBook as soon as they occur.

Sunday was a very special night, and now I feel it was cheapened, for entertainment value.

As my father aged, he had less and less use for people. My mother would go out and socialize with her family, and he'd choose to stay home with a book or public television. I get it.

Next time I'm at a party, I have to remember that, at heart, it's just a FaceBook or other social media show being filmed. I'll drink much less. I won't showcase my lack of dancing skills. I'll watch my words, and keep my laughter muted.

I'll behave as if I'm being filmed...

How can anyone even consider running for public office these days. Literally every slip of the tongue, belch, and fart gets broadcast immediately.

It makes me want to avoid parties. Or at least require my guests to check their video cameras, cell phones, and other cameras at the door...

No comments: