Sunday, February 6, 2011

Insufferable

It's been a quiet week in the 305. The heat returned, and we've had the a/c on for sleeping. D2 turned 19, and had a fine birthday, with multiple celebrations, room decorations, and a weekend visit by D1. We've been dogsitting for the grand dog.

Thursday, I went to a bris for my rabbi friend --his EIGTH child. Amazing. His wife is 39, and they could easily have 12 or more kids.

It's their choice, of course, and in their view what God and the Torah command --the old "be fruitful and multiply" thing. But, as a cynical friend points out --every time someone gives a donation, they have to bear in mind that they're helping pay for 10 plane tickets for a family vacation, multiple tuitions for private school,multiple fees for summer camp, etc...

I ran into an old acquaintance, a fellow I hadn't seen in quite awhile. I used to get a kick out of him --he always had an almost regal bearing, a sense of self importance that was tempored by a winking sense of humor.

Not any more. I listened to the fellow go on about his grown children, and all of his hobbies, and his professional accomplishments, and I found him an insufferable bore.

He never once asked about my Ds, or what I was up to, or anything of the sort, and I realized that tastes do change.

I used to like and enjoy the company of so many people. I'd find interest in their quirkiness --it seemed that every one brought SOMETHING to the table of human understanding, and I'd find common ground for conversation and laughter.

Not so much any more. Now I look, often with a jaundiced eye, at social acquaintances. I'm easily bored. I make myself scarcer as a social companion.

Mr. Insufferable isn't a bad guy. He's a devoted father, and involves himself in several community initiatives. I just no longer share the extremely high opinion he has of himself...

I AM becoming my father! He often chose to stay home and read, or watch public tv, rather than go out with my mother and her family, and their vacuousness.

As dear friends point out, though, the benefit is that if I DO hang with someone, they know I truly value their company --I'm not just going through the motions.

Welcome, old age and crankiness...

No comments: