Saturday, January 1, 2011

Out With the Old...

And so goodbye, 2010. At least as far as our beloved Canes are concerned, my friend Norman said it best: "Kish mein tuches..."

I had a great bunch of guys over to watch our team's match against our historical rival, Notre Dame. Dr. Dave brought delicious wings, and Norman had given me enough beer for the whole football team. They'd have played better if they drank it. The game was over by the 2nd quarter.

Still, we sat in my football room, Jeff, Dr. Barry and his boys, Dr. Vince, Norman and his fine son, the budding professor, neighbor Garrett, and friend/neighbor Pat and his boy Patrick (Gator fans, both, but who showed great class and restraint as the Canes crumbled).

We went through 7 pizzas, delivered by my Palestinian pizza guy, and joked about the Halal pepperoni.

I adore my Ds and Wifey, but it's such a great treat for me to be surrounded by only men once in awhile, and yesterday was one of those special afternoons...

After the game ended, Wifey returned from a visit to her parents' house, with tales of a visit to a seedy gambling hall and a diner (the Fountain) that had just reopened after a Health Department closure... Her parents loved the day. I loved not being a part of their day...

Dr. Barry and his family came back over after dinner at Captain's Tavern, and neighbor/friend Diane came by for a New Year's toast on the way to dinner with HER son.

D1 and D2 and D2's friend flitted in and out, on their way to more exciting New Year's events. D1 and some friends were headed over to Fox's, my favorite tavern, where, for the second year, a bunch of the 20 somethings paid to take over the place. In anticipation, I was there Wednesday, and heavily tipped the trrific waiter Nelson. I look forward to hearing about D1's night.

Dr. Barry and his boys Scott and Josh dropped D2 and her friend Ali at THEIR party. The girls looked gorgeous in their black dresses, prompting Dr. Barry to reflect on the security of being a father to sons, not daughters...

As I write, I have begun 2011 in my favorite way --with coffee and the Herald on my front porch, with Wifey upstairs watching old movies, and the lovely quiet of a Pinecrest weekend morning.

I called my ancient Mom, and she was chipper and excited and out of her mind. It took me 5 minutes to tell her I was visiting on Tuesday, not Thursday, but that's ok. She'll turn 91 in April, and she's mostly happy and completely thrilled to have lasted so long...

We're due to drive up to Miami Lakes later, to see Wifey's cousins, who are visiting from LI. They're staying in Broward, and so we settled on the Lakes as an easy half way point. We can compare tales of dealing with 80 something Holocaust Survivors...

I have made firm resolutions about 2011. I plan to, as much as possible, minimize the annoying and bad, and maximize the happy and good.

I'll see in 7 months if my Canes, under their new coach, abide...

No comments: