Friday, January 28, 2011

More Fanning

I wish my Spanish was good enough to remember that great Cuban phrase --the one about fanning one's testicles. It conveys such a great image of a sort of intentional laziness --the man on his porch, deliberately avoiding work, but engaged in such a funny activity that shows the world he's not about to get up and do any heaviy lifting.

And such has been my week. I've floated in and out of my office, conferring with my appointed successor about some cases. I've gone on walks through the neighborhood. Monday night Wifey and I had dinner with a dear friend and his reconciling wife.

This am I'll take Wifey to MIA to catch a flight to Gainesville, so that she can visit D2 ahead of D2's 19th birthday.

I have more of little planned for the weekend.

I still think I'll find something productive to do, but I'm in no rush. The more I see my lawyer friends busy, the less I want to be involved any more.

I got a letter from my insurance carrier the other day. A year and a half ago, the Ds were returning from a road trip, and were nearly home (they were in D2's car, but a male friend was driving) when they got into a fender bender, literally, on US 1. I raced over, and saw that Brett had cut off another car trying to get to the middle lane. Both cars were damaged, but no one was hurt.

The young Colombian student in the other car, Rosa, thankfully accepted my ride to meet her boyfriend. I explained that my insurance (or Brett's family's) would pay her damages. She was thankful, and got out of the car.

So the cars were fixed, and all got on with their lives. Ha! As if! Rosa hired a TV lawyer, some tool named Anidjar, and he sent her for over $25,000 worth of chiropractic treatments, at some place called, I think, Metro Injury Centers. From there she saw an orthopedic surgeon, and a radiologist, and now, according to my insurance carrier, wants our entire $250,000 policy!

My carrier will fight it, I'm sure, and probably end up settling for $10K or so...

The Ds and Wifey were disgusted, until I reminded them that this fine lifestyle we all enjoy was due to precisely this sort of thing --turning injuries into money!

And, due to the Rosas and Anidjars of the world, we have an entire defense industry, making friends of mine like Norman rich, too! (At least he gets to represent the good guys, usually).

What a world, what a world. I'm SO like the former smoker who's the most militant anti smoker!

With stuff like Rosa and her ambulance chasing, 1/4 of a million dollars seeking lawyer, is it any wonder I prefer to sit on my porch, fanning away?

No comments: