Monday, December 6, 2010

Severe Weather

...is what the Herald says we're having this morning, as the temperatures have dropped to 50 degrees! We're such wussies in Miami.

I went out with the ancient Labrador to fetch the Herald, and it was delicious outside. The Lab, Honey, wasn't going back indoors easily. Her breed is a cold weather one, and though she was born and raised in the County of Dade (Love that hip hop song), her genetics called to her, and she sniffed around with pep in her step.

I'm now 60% done with the Family Mediator class. Yesterday we had a surprisingly interesting lecture from a CPA named Irvin Katz. He's a short, fat, Jewish guy who, despite his body type, bears a striking facial resemblance to Jack Nicholson. I say surprisingly interesting, since CPAs are not known to be the most entertaining of folks (my brother in law Dennis being the exception, of course), but Irvin was.

He talked about tax ramifications of divorce, of alimony versus child support, and he was glib, funny, and informative.

Afterwards we had more role playing, and I proudly got a huge laugh. I played a husband at the mediation, and the lady who played my lawyer, Marta, was summoning her inner Meryl Streep for the exercise. At one point, I told the fake mediator that my lawyer was going to win because she's such a tiboron, which is Spanish for shark, and Marta lost it. I guess she never expected a gringo like me to use that term. Ha! I shall not be stereotyped...even in mock mediations.

I returned home, and Wifey brought her dearest friend Edna from MIA. Edna's here fro the week on a top secret mission, one I'm not permitted to write about, or even hint that it involves Wifey...

We sat on the porch as the temperature dropped, sipping Middleton, and talking about our 4 daughters.

Today, the top secret event unfolds, and I'll take Edna for breakfast while Wifey --oh --never mind. Did I mention it was top secret????

Anyway --the temperatures are expected to go even LOWER --maybe the 40s tonight --and I think it'll be time for me to dust off my firepit, put in some of the firewood left over from last season, and warm my toes.

Honey the LAbrador will happily curl up next to me...

No comments: