Saturday, December 18, 2010

Golf

I tried golf for about a year --15 years ago. Dr. Eric had returned from Boston, where he took it up during his medical training, and he asked me to go with him.

I enjoyed hitting balls on the driving range, but ended up enjoying driving the golf cart more than anything else. Dr. Eric explained that I really needed to take lessons, but I just couldn't get past the basic fact of the game: hitting a ball as far as you could, and then chasing it, only to try to putt it into a hole.

I realize I'm in the minorty, and golf is a multi billion dollar activity. Still...

To Dr. Eric's eternal pride, his boy Josh has become quite a player --one of the top ones in his high school. Josh plays in tournaments all over the state, and entered an international youth one held next week at Doral. I told Eric I wanted to watch Josh play.

I met them at the Doral Ale House, and we then caravanned to Doral. The place was buzzing, even though it was cloudy, and rain threatened.

There were young folks from all over the world. I chatted with a mother and her son from Austria ("We don't have the kangaroos"). I told her I knew, I had been in Vienna, and they have the Sacher tortes...

Josh went to practice. I watched him on the range; he hit the balls farther than anyone. Eric told me he can drive about 300 yards.

We next went to his practice round on the White course. It began to rain. We huddled under a tent with the international group. I heard Spanish, Italian, and a language I coudn't place, which turned out to be Danish.

Finally, Josh and his 3 participants were allowed to go. The rain was falling steadily. Dr. Eric and I followed for 2 holes. Finally, Josh and Eric looked at me and thanked me for watching --they gave me permission to leave.

I walked back to the Doral Clubhouse, soaked. Josh wanted to practice as much as he could, before the tournament started Tuesday.

I'm thrilled for them. Golf is a terrific father/son activity, and Josh is even good enough to get a scholarship to college to play.

I have no doubt that his ability will help him later --doing deals in whatever field he chooses on the golf course.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting Eric and the rest of his family again, at a Dolphins game. Eric got tickets from a Palm Beach hospital, and I'm picking up MY family doc, David, and we're going to meet at the stadium.

Football. That's a sport I get!

No comments: