Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Boring Bowl

At a house party the other night, I was asked where I was going to watch the "Big Game" today. The answer is probably nowhere.

I love football, but I'm more of a college guy. If the Dolphins were playing, I'd have a mild interest. I guess if the Jets had made it to the show, I'd also watch, in support of Dr. Barry, who loves that team. Indy and New Orleans? I truly couldn't care less.

In college, we used to have super bowl parties, and they were fun. I particularly remember the 1981 game --Oakland vs. Philly. We had probably 50 folks to our small apartment, and about 5 portable tvs all over. We drank heavily, and much later that evening, my roommate Barry left to study in the library, returning to our apartment about 2 am. What happened next is hilarious, but unfortunately a tale not to be told in a family blog...

I also remember watching games with Eric's Dad Marvin, now sadly gone many years. Marvin LOVED having us to his house in Kendall, where we'd order sub sandwiches and watch the game. I remember Cincinatti/San Francisco for some reason.

The news in Miami is that this, our 10th Super Bowl, may be the last, unless the taxpayers pony up hundreds of millions to "improve" the stadium to make the NFL happy. I truly hope this IS the last game here -- my populist, anti-corporate bent DESPISES the NFL and its billionaire owners. The game has zero impact on anyone I know, other than making hotels money.

Besides...AS IF! Dallas has a new stadium, and one of the threats is that they'd get the game over Miami. I've been to a Cotton Bowl in JAnuary, and can report that Dallas in Winter is a freezing, dreary place. Let the players and rappers give up South Beach...

Wifey and the Ds enjoy one thing about Super Bowl Sunday: Animal Planet has the "Puppy Bowl," a show featuring adorable pups frolicking on an astroturf pen, where officials call time out and throw penalty flags whenever one of the dogs pees or poops. The girls turned me on to it a few years ago --if I watch at all, it'll be that "game."

It's a gorgeous day here today. D1's in Gainesville, recovering from an outdoor "woodser" party with her boyfriend's fraternity. D2's sleeping off the last of her "birthday week."

Maybe Wifey and I will drive down to the Redland. I'm drawn there when the weather's cool in town.

As for football? Well, I did read something today to excite me. It seems the nation's top offensive lineman, a giant from Minneapolis, may come to my Canes after all. He announced he was choosing USC, but never signed his "letter of intent," and is having second thoughts about USC's program about to be in a heap of trouble. Now if we got him, that would be super...

No comments: