Monday, February 15, 2010

The Simple Pleasures

My income from my law firm is going to plummet this year, and I'm not really too upset about it. I've always been a saver, so I can still put D2 through college, and maybe even pay for the Ds weddings, someday...

But, Wifey and I ARE going to cut back on some of our more lavish habits, like absurdly expensive dinners, and trips...

It won't be so bad for Wifey. She never really enjoys fancy restaurants to begin with, since she's always counting calories of one type or another. She DOES like the first class travel, though...

And, as she correctly points out, when I'm with folks I enjoy, and have a few drinks, I always pull the "Dave fake bathroom move," where I sneak off and pay the check before the waiter even brings it to the table...

Anyway, last night we went with some friends to a Valentine's Day event we loved. The Deering Estate had a jazz show featuring a local singer made it big in NY named James Rodgers. He apparently grew up in South Dade, and now plays with likes of Liza Minelli. He was terrific.

The tickets weren't expensive, and I brought a bottle of champagne, which Lili and I shared. She brought some baguettes and turkey breast, and strawberries and pears and cheeses. We ate and danced and sang along with "How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You."

As I was laying on my back, under a blanket with Wifey, and staring at the stars, I realized there was nowhere else I'd rather be.

I've enjoyed being "the man" over the years, always picking up the check, and treating friends and acquaintances whenever we go out. It'll be interesting to see whether I can hand off that position to others. As Wifey notes "NO ONE else picks up the tab --even those much richer than you!"

That's not true. My partner Paul is a notorious check payer. Although, I did notice him changing a bit. Last week we had lunch with a younger Workers Comp lawyer, and he reached for the check. Paul let him!

All I know is, it occurs to me that the company and event make the evening, not the cost of the menu. Last night was delightful.

And then there will be bargain hunting! Leave it to Dr. Eric --he just learned that we can get our Canes Club seats this season for 60% of what we paid last season. We just have to move a few sections over, to a new "Alumni Corner," and we're in business.

My partner Paul is going to have a much tougher time of this new incarnation than I will. He routinely spends more on a weekend's entertainment than many people earn in a month. He's going to give up his nearly $100K luxury car when they "pry it from his cold, dead hands."

I think I'll adapt to more modest circumstances just fine. If not --Wifey can always go back to work!!!!

No comments: